NON coplanar forces, please i thanks

In summary, the problem is asking to find the resultant of three concurrent forces in both northern and eastern directions. The known values are F1 = 8 grams North, F2 = 12 grams Southwest, and F3 = 5 grams Southeast. To solve this, we can use the equation R = F1 + F2 + F3. However, since the forces are not acting along the same direction, we need to resolve them into vertical and horizontal components. In the northern resultant, the forces will be added vertically, while in the eastern resultant, they will be added horizontally. This can be done by using trigonometric functions.
jdhen

Homework Statement

Find the resultant of three coplanar concurrent forces, f1 north a magnitude of 8 grams, F2 of magnitude 12 grams and acting southwest f3 of magnitude 5 grams and acting southeast Find the resultant in an easterly and northerly direction.

known values:
F1 = 8 grams North
F2 = 12 grams Southwest
F3 = 5 grams Southeast

Homework Equations

R=f1+f2+f3

N

/|\ (arrow up sorry don't know how to put a diagram here)
|
| F1 = 8 grams
|
|
/ \
/ \ F3 = 5 grams
/ \
F2=12 grams / \
V V

The Attempt at a Solution

In norhtern resultant: R=8 + 12 + 5 = 25 grams
In eastern am confused if i am going to add it again? and in my first eauation don't know if am right? please help me thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
oh no... my diagram... :( sorry this is my first time to join in a forum so don't know how to put a diagram.. but please help me thanks

Your northern resultant is wrong. All the forces are not acting along the same direction.
Do you know how to resolve the vectors along vertical and horizontal direction?

rl.bhat said:
Your northern resultant is wrong. All the forces are not acting along the same direction.
Do you know how to resolve the vectors along vertical and horizontal direction?
thanks for the reply, actually, no, i tried to search anything in the net but i can't understand.. please help me... thanks again

Related to NON coplanar forces, please i thanks

1. What are non-coplanar forces?

Non-coplanar forces refer to forces that do not lie in the same plane. This means that the lines of action for each force are not parallel and do not intersect. Non-coplanar forces can act in any direction and can have different magnitudes.

2. How are non-coplanar forces represented?

Non-coplanar forces are typically represented by vectors. Vectors have a magnitude (size) and a direction, and they can be used to represent the direction and magnitude of non-coplanar forces.

3. Do non-coplanar forces affect the motion of an object?

Yes, non-coplanar forces can affect the motion of an object. When multiple non-coplanar forces act on an object, they can result in a net force that causes the object to accelerate in a certain direction.

4. How are non-coplanar forces resolved?

To find the net force of non-coplanar forces, they must be resolved into their x and y components. This means breaking down the forces into their horizontal and vertical components, which can then be added together to find the net force.

5. What is the difference between coplanar and non-coplanar forces?

The main difference between coplanar and non-coplanar forces is that coplanar forces lie in the same plane, while non-coplanar forces do not. Coplanar forces can be easily added together using basic vector addition, while non-coplanar forces require more complex methods to determine the net force.