Non-convergent series for surface charge density

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D Laplace equation problem involving a semi-infinite strip with a conductor at one end and grounded conductors at the other end. The goal is to find the induced surface charge on the conductor at x=0. The potential equation and a formula for surface charge are provided, but there is uncertainty about the proper method for finding the field. After some discussion, it is determined that taking the limit and using Euler's formula can lead to a solution for the surface charge.
musemonkey
1. This is a 2D Laplace eqn problem. A semi-infinite strip of width a has a conductor held at potential [tex] V(0,a) = V_0 [/tex] at one end and grounded conductors at y=0 and y=a. Find the induced surface charge [tex] \sigma (y) [/tex] on the conductor at x=0.

2. Homework Equations .

The potential is

[tex] V(x,y) = \frac{4V_0}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-(2n+1)\pi x / a}}{2n+1} \sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi y}{a} ) [/tex].

3. I tried

[tex] \sigma = \epsilon_0 E_{norm} = -\epsilon_0 \left . \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} \right |_{x=0} [/tex]

which yielded the bounded but non-convergent series

[tex] \sigma(y) = \frac{4V_0\epsilon_0}{a} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sin ( \frac{(2n+1)\pi y}{a} ) [/tex].

Differentiation with respect to x killed the 1/(2n+1) factor and then evaluating at x=0 killed the exponential, leaving nothing to cause the terms to decay with higher n. It makes me doubt that using the normal derivative of the potential is the right way to get the field, but everything I've read on it states with demonstration that the field at the surface of a conductor is [tex] - \epsilon_0 \partial V / \partial n [/tex]. So what to do?

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evaluate for x>0 and then take the x->0 limit. It'll converge.

Thank you Weejee. A further question:

Before taking the limit, the series is

[tex] -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{4V_0}{a}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e^{-(2n+1)\pi x / a} \sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi y}{a} ) [/tex].

I don't know how to get a closed form for the sum of this series, and even if I could, there are no doubt cases in which it can't be done; so are you saying that in general one writes the solution as

[tex] \sigma(y) = -\epsilon_0 E = \lim_{x->0} \epsilon_0 \frac{4V_0}{a}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e^{-(2n+1)\pi x / a} \sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi y}{a} ) [/tex] ?

I can see how this is not equivalent to just plugging in x=0 inside the series, and I can see that by the ratio test this series converges, but is there really no closed form for [tex] \sigma [/tex]?

One can write the summand as the imaginary part of something. You'll find that it is just a geometric series. Obtaining the sum is quite trivial, but taking its imaginary part needs some algebraic manipulation.

oh I see, Euler's formula -- nice. I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Related to Non-convergent series for surface charge density

What is a non-convergent series for surface charge density?

A non-convergent series for surface charge density refers to a mathematical series that does not have a finite limit or does not converge to a specific value. This means that the series does not approach a definite value as more terms are added, making it unreliable for calculating surface charge density.

Why are non-convergent series for surface charge density problematic?

Non-convergent series for surface charge density are problematic because they do not provide a reliable or accurate value for surface charge density. This can lead to errors and inaccuracies in scientific calculations and experiments.

What factors can cause a series to be non-convergent?

A series can be non-convergent due to several factors, such as infinite terms, alternating signs, or terms that increase without bound. These factors can prevent the series from reaching a finite limit and thus make it non-convergent.

Can non-convergent series for surface charge density be used in scientific calculations?

No, non-convergent series for surface charge density should not be used in scientific calculations as they do not provide accurate or reliable values. It is important to use convergent series or other methods to calculate surface charge density.

How can one determine if a series is non-convergent for surface charge density?

To determine if a series is non-convergent for surface charge density, one can use mathematical tests such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests can help identify if a series has a finite limit or not.