Non changing variables in wave function.

In summary, the wave function does not contain any variables, only a complex amplitude that is position dependent. The WKB approximation, a semi-classical method, assigns a classical wave number (κ) that varies with position, depending on the potential. However, this is not an intrinsic value of the actual quantum wave function and may change as the wave function evolves. The variable ω may also vary in the wave function.
Penguinluons
Hi. I would like to know which variables in the wave function are constant (in this local context) and which are not. The wave number for instance varies in the article I was reading (WKB approximation). Why is this so? What other variable in the wavefunction can vary?

Please help me as I am young and new to this...

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no "variables" in the wave function. You have a complex amplitude that is position dependent, and that's it.

The WKB approximation is a semi-classical method, which attributes a classical wave number which varies with position, depending on the potential. But it is not an intrinsic value of the actual quantum wave function.

Likes bhobba
DrClaude said:
There are no "variables" in the wave function. You have a complex amplitude that is position dependent, and that's it.

The WKB approximation is a semi-classical method, which attributes a classical wave number which varies with position, depending on the potential. But it is not an intrinsic value of the actual quantum wave function.

Thanks for your reply... Maybe I phrased my sentence incorrectly. By variables I was referring to κ (Wave Number) and ω. Do these change as the wavefunction evolves?

Related to Non changing variables in wave function.

1. What are non-changing variables in wave function?

Non-changing variables in wave function refer to the parameters that remain constant throughout the observation of a wave. These variables include frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. Why are non-changing variables important in wave function?

Non-changing variables play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of a wave. They help to define the shape, size, and energy of the wave and provide a basis for understanding its behavior.

3. Can non-changing variables be altered or manipulated?

No, non-changing variables in wave function cannot be altered or manipulated. They are fundamental properties of a wave and are determined by the source of the wave and the medium through which it travels.

4. How do non-changing variables affect the overall wave function?

The non-changing variables in wave function determine the overall characteristics of the wave, such as its speed, direction of propagation, and interference patterns. They also influence the wave's interactions with other waves and objects in its path.

5. Are non-changing variables the same for all types of waves?

While frequency, wavelength, and amplitude are non-changing variables for all types of waves, other variables may vary depending on the type of wave. For example, the speed of a wave may vary depending on the medium through which it travels.