Non central chi square distribution

In summary: The chi-square is a measure of the variability of the data. The gen. chi-square is a measure of the variability of the data relative to a known distribution. If you know the distribution of the data, then the gen. chi-square will be close to the chi-square. If you don't know the distribution of the data, then the gen. chi-square will be larger than the chi-square.
bob j
I read this article about non central chi square distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noncentral_chi-square_distribution

in practice, if I have a sum of X_i^2, where X_i is gaussian with mean \mu_i and std \sigma_i what would be the pdf of the sum? In the article the assume you have (x_i\sigma_i)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we have the problem:

Given f( X/2, Y/2) = X + XY
Find f(x,y)

How would you solve it?

You would use the substitution X = 2x, Y = 2y

This is similar to the question that you are asking since the article gives you the pdf for the Xi/sigma_i and you want to find the value of the pdf at the x_i without the divisions by the sigma_i.

Or did you already realize this and were asking someone to do the algebra?

why did they bother deriving the generalized chi square distribution then?

bob j said:
why did they bother deriving the generalized chi square distribution then?

Given that you are going to state a distribution for the sum of squares of independent random variables, it is most natural to state it for variables that have a convenient scale. If you look at data of the form Z_i = (X_i - mu_i)/ sigma_i, you can tell that +4.0 is a very unlikely value and "bigger than average". If look at data that says X_i = 240.0, you have no idea whether this is unusual or whether it is bigger or smaller than average.

the gen. chi square looks quite different than the chi square distribution. It's not just scaling, at least from what i can understand

My remarks relate to scaling the non-central chi-square to find the distribution of a sum of non-normalized non-identically distributed independent normal random variables not to a claim that scaling the chi-square will produce the non-central chi-square. The variables in the chi-square are assumed to be identically distributed.

Related to Non central chi square distribution

1. What is a non-central chi square distribution?

A non-central chi square distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the distribution of the sum of squared independent random variables. It is similar to a regular chi square distribution, but it takes into account a non-central parameter that measures the degree of non-centrality of the distribution.

2. How is a non-central chi square distribution different from a regular chi square distribution?

The main difference between a non-central chi square distribution and a regular chi square distribution is the presence of the non-central parameter. This parameter represents the degree of non-centrality in the distribution, which results in a shifted mean and a different shape of the distribution curve.

3. What is the use of a non-central chi square distribution in statistics?

A non-central chi square distribution is commonly used in statistical analyses to model the variability in data sets that have a non-zero mean. It is particularly useful in testing hypotheses and estimating confidence intervals when the underlying population distribution is not normally distributed.

4. How is a non-central chi square distribution related to other distributions?

A non-central chi square distribution is a special case of a gamma distribution and is also related to other distributions such as the F distribution and the normal distribution. It is also a part of the family of chi square distributions, which includes the central and non-central versions.

5. How can a non-central chi square distribution be used in practical applications?

A non-central chi square distribution has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model the distribution of errors in measurements, assess the significance of regression models, and calculate confidence intervals for non-normal data sets. It is also commonly used in hypothesis testing for comparing means and variances of two or more populations.