Non-Abelian Stokes theorem and variation of the EL action

In summary, the speaker said that it is incorrect to use the Stokes theorem when trying to get the Einstein equations from the Einstein-Hilbert action, and that the correct way is to use the non-Abelian stokes theorem. However, this only applies to situations where the manifold is oriented and the connection is a matrix-valued form.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Today I heard the claim that its wrong to use Stokes(more specificly divergence/Gauss) theorem when trying to get the Einstein equations from the Einstein-Hilbert action and the correct way is using the non-Abelian stokes theorem. I can't give any reference because it was in a talk. It was the first time I heard about the non-Abelian Stokes theorem, so I checked and found this about it. But it seems this should be applied only when we're trying to integrate a e.g. matrix valued quantity or any other quantity that can be given a non-Abelian group structure. I understand this when we're dealing with non-Abelian gauge fields but does it apply to Ricci tensor or tensors on ## \mathbb R^n ## in general? Or...maybe the tensor structure is itself a non-Abelian group structure? or what?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please link to arXiv abstract pages rather than directly to pdfs.

The Riemann tensor can be thought of as the field strength of a GL(n) connection. When the connection is metric-compatible, this is an O(n) connection; and when the manifold is furthermore orientable, it is an SO(n) connection. This SO(n) connection is the (matrix-valued) connection 1-form in the orthonormal basis.

I don't see where the non-Abelian Stokes theorem is applicable when varying the EH action, though. I'd have to see the context.

Likes ShayanJ
Ben Niehoff said:
I don't see where the non-Abelian Stokes theorem is applicable when varying the EH action, though. I'd have to see the context.
Well...if for non-Abelian gauge fields and their strengths, its only correct to use non-Abelian Stokes theorem, and if the Riemann tensor can be thought of as the strength of the connection coefficients(as gauge fields), and if this will make GR a non-Abelian gauge theory, then the conclusion is that for Riemann and Ricci tensors, non-Abelian Stokes theorem should be used. And because there is a step in the variation of the EH action that uses Stokes theorem, then the conclusion should be that non-Abelian Stokes theorem is applicable to the variation of the EH action. So I'm confused that you don't think its applicable!

I've never heard of any practical use for the non-Abelian Stokes theorem in physics at all. Perhaps you could share the context in which you saw it?

Ben Niehoff said:
I've never heard of any practical use for the non-Abelian Stokes theorem in physics at all. Perhaps you could share the context in which you saw it?
It was in a talk and the one giving the talk, was just criticizing different things in physics and mathematics and this was one of the things he said, that its actually correct to use non-Abelian Stokes theorem in the variation of EH action instead of the Abelian case. He said its because the group of transformations(which he meant SO(3)) is non-Abelian, nothing more.
I should add that from the other things he said, I'm sure he was actually a crackpot. But I didn't know enough to think about this one claim on myself so I asked it here.

Related to Non-Abelian Stokes theorem and variation of the EL action

1. What is the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem?

The Non-Abelian Stokes theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the integral of a non-abelian gauge field over a closed surface to the integral of the gauge field over the boundary of that surface. It is an extension of the classical Stokes theorem to non-abelian gauge theories, which are used to describe the interactions between elementary particles.

2. What is the EL action in the context of the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem?

The EL action, short for Euler-Lagrange action, is a mathematical quantity that represents the dynamics of a system described by a Lagrangian function. In the context of the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem, the EL action is used to calculate the variation of the gauge field over a closed surface, which is then related to the variation of the gauge field over the boundary of that surface.

3. How is the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem related to gauge theories?

The Non-Abelian Stokes theorem is a fundamental tool in gauge theories, which are used to describe the interactions between elementary particles. It allows for the calculation of important quantities, such as the variation of the gauge field, which are essential in understanding the dynamics of these theories.

4. What are the applications of the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem?

The Non-Abelian Stokes theorem has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and their interactions. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, to calculate important quantities and make predictions about physical systems.

5. What are the key differences between the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem and the classical Stokes theorem?

The main difference between the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem and the classical Stokes theorem is that the former applies to non-abelian gauge theories, while the latter applies to abelian gauge theories. This means that the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem is more general and can be applied to a wider range of physical systems. Additionally, the Non-Abelian Stokes theorem introduces new mathematical concepts, such as Lie algebras and group representations, that are not present in the classical Stokes theorem.