How realistic is the physics behind the motorcycle jump in Tomorrow Never Dies?

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics project involving the movie "Tomorrow Never Dies." The project requires selecting a physics-related movie segment and analyzing its realism. The chosen segment involved James Bond and Michelle Yeoh riding a motorcycle over a large gap. The project also involves creating high-quality questions and leading a discussion during the presentation. Suggestions were given on how to calculate the trajectory of the bike and determine the required speed and angle. It was recommended to time the movie sequence and measure the length of the bike in a still frame to determine the scale. However, it was noted that there may be distortions due to the perspective projection on a 2D screen.
miyuki9
Physics Project help please!

I picked out a movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies" staring James Bond and Michelle Yeoh. From there, I had to choose a movie segment that is physics related and then I have to explain how that movie segment is Realistic Physics or Unrealistic Physics. The movie segment that I picked from the movie was that when James Bond was on the motorcycle w/ Michelle Yeoh, and they went flying over a really big gab. I also have to make up High Quality Questions and Lead a Discussion during my presentation. Can someone please give me some suggestions that I should talk about for my presentation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for the trajectory of a body moving under the influence of Earth's gravity, and explain how fast and at what angle James' bike would have had to be going to clear the gap. Use math to calculate the speed required at the angle used. If the speed is unreasonable for a motorcycle having just accelerated from a stop, explain that.

- Warren

can u please give more detail? plus, I don't really know the velocity or the distance of the gap b/c it's a scene from the movie...

You can get the time by timing the sequence as the movie plays, and you can get the distance by getting a hard copy of a still frame and measuring the length of the bike in the picture. Then, look up the length of the bike (you'll need the make and model), and that will set the scale.

Originally posted by Tom
you can get the distance by getting a hard copy of a still frame and measuring the length of the bike in the picture.

This is a good idea. However you should be aware of the perspective projection of the 3D scene on a 2D screen that kind of distorts the distances. But it should be possible to make corrections for this.

What is a physics project?

A physics project is a research or experiment-based project that explores a specific topic in physics. It can involve creating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions.

Why do students need help with physics projects?

Physics projects can be challenging for students due to the complex concepts and calculations involved. Many students also struggle with understanding how to conduct experiments and analyze data effectively.

What are some common topics for physics projects?

Some common topics for physics projects include motion and forces, energy and momentum, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. Students can also choose to focus on specific subfields of physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics.

What are the steps involved in completing a physics project?

The steps involved in completing a physics project typically include selecting a topic, researching background information, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. It may also involve creating visual aids or presentations to showcase the project.

How can I get help with my physics project?

You can get help with your physics project by reaching out to your teacher or professor, joining a study group or tutoring session, utilizing online resources and textbooks, and seeking assistance from a professional tutor or mentor.