Is Tithing Just Another Form of Taxation?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by SaintTithing started in Genesis with I(think it was) Jacob(?). He promised to give God 10% of all he had. Now, over the years, this has changed to support the church and furthering the ministries. The tithe still goes to God. It's just now it goes to the staff at the church so that they can continue to praise God with it. It's just a sign of respect...
Saint
Is tithe a taxation?
Do you think the church squeeze money from your pocket?

Physics news on Phys.org
not from my pockets! i stopped going to church a long time ago!

I'm actually not outraged by this aspect of the church (though there are a lot more that i am, but i won't get into that) because they have no other form of income. even a church will fall victim to the effects of the sencond law of thermodynamics and will require repair over time. :wink:

Originally posted by Saint
Is tithe a taxation?

No. It is a revenue, a cash flow any business is built on.

No offense, but what's up with the hit and run posting?

Originally posted by Hurkyl
No offense, but what's up with the hit and run posting?
Hit and run posting is hit and run posting. The point is to bash something then run so you don't have to answer to it. But you knew that, or you wouldn't have asked...

the church does need revenue to continue its operation, as it is ultmately a busines...it's how the church goes about the tithe that has a basis of morality...for example, i researched a major unitarian church right here in portland oregon, and it required a commitment of contributions to become a voting member...this turned me off ultimately and i had assumed that the unitarians were of the most liberal and accepting...

its just like dues to any club

Because church is nothing but a social gathering. Family always tells me I should go to church to meet a nice girl. I always hear about people wanting to get to church so they can tell such and such about there story.

So really, church is just a club. A building where people can go and socialize, gossip and such. I'd say probably 90% of most rumours both originate and pass through most churches.

Its like, a chat room, in real life, that you pay for.

Or maybe more like the Boy Scouts, cept, no gender regs, and no "activity" so that all walks of life may attend.

church is supposed to be place for you to pursue spiritual goals.

Taxation

Is tithe a taxation?

Actually no tithes are a matter of the heart. Some churches are focused on getting money. Ex: I only give if I am lead to and feel the cause if appropiate. I also only give in my church or if I know the one who is speaking is worthy. Tithes also should not be given when you heart feels guilty about giving them. Go buy gum instead, but do not use the I'd rather get the gum because "I don't feel like it". Examine yourself first. :wink: Read about Alms in the gospels. :wink:

Originally posted by Fx25
Actually no tithes are a matter of the heart. Some churches are focused on getting money. Ex: I only give if I am lead to and feel the cause if appropiate. I also only give in my church or if I know the one who is speaking is worthy. Tithes also should not be given when you heart feels guilty about giving them. Go buy gum instead, but do not use the I'd rather get the gum because "I don't feel like it". Examine yourself first. :wink: Read about Alms in the gospels. :wink:

This is what tithing is:

"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, `How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse--the whole nation of you--because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

Malachi 3:8-12

And I do agree...If in your heart you do not want to tithe take the money and go buy something! A church is where you need to go to get spiritual growth and if that is not why your are not going why go?

Tithing started in Genesis with I(think it was) Jacob(?). He promised to give God 10% of all he had. Now, over the years, this has changed to support the church and furthering the ministries. The tithe still goes to God. It's just now it goes to the staff at the church so that they can continue to praise God with it. It's just a sign of respect and a way to "help further the kigdom of God." And yes, in a way it is a type of "business."

-CubeX

1. What is tithing?

Tithing is the practice of giving a certain percentage of one's income or possessions to a religious or charitable organization, typically 10% in the context of Christianity.

2. Is tithing mandatory?

Tithing is not mandatory in most religions, but it is often encouraged as a spiritual practice and a way to support the community and its causes.

3. How is tithing different from taxation?

Tithing is a voluntary act of giving, whereas taxation is a mandatory contribution to the government for the provision of public services. Tithing is usually based on a percentage of one's income or possessions, while taxation may vary based on income levels and other factors.

4. Can tithing be considered a form of tax evasion?

No, tithing is not considered a form of tax evasion as it is not a legal requirement and does not involve hiding or misrepresenting income to avoid paying taxes.

5. What are the benefits of tithing?

Tithing can provide a sense of fulfillment and purpose by contributing to a greater cause, help support religious or charitable organizations, and potentially have a positive impact on the well-being and happiness of the giver. Additionally, some countries offer tax deductions for charitable donations, including tithing, which can have financial benefits as well.