Light Refraction/ Reflection/ Etc

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding light refraction and reflection. The first question asks why the sun appears higher in the sky at sunset, followed by a query about which color of light is refracted least by a glass prism and how different colors are separated through a prism. The conversation then shifts to a problem involving a ray of light passing through layers of oil and water, with a given index of refraction for each substance. The final request is for someone to double-check the person's solution to the problem.
FestiveF
Hi all. I just have a few questions regarding light refraction and reflection.

At sunset, the sun seems to be higher in the sky than it really is- correct? What causes this?

Which color of light is refracted least by a glass prism? How do each of the colors separate through a prism to determine how they are reflected/refracted?

Last, but not least:

A layer of oil floats on a layer or water. A ray of light in the air above the oil strikes the oil at an incidence angle of 40*. The ray continues through the oil into the water. What is the angle of refraction of the light ray in water? I know that the index for water is 1.33, for oil it is 1.45, and for air it is 1.00. I got the answer to be 28.9* and I feel pretty confident that is correct...but could someone just double-check my thinking please?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
We do not do your homework for you on this board. You must show that you have but a bit of thought into the problems. Please post more specific questions about where you are haveing troubles.

Hi there!

To answer your first question, yes, the sun appears to be higher in the sky at sunset due to light refraction. This is because as the sun's rays pass through the Earth's atmosphere, they are bent or refracted by the different layers of air with varying densities. This bending of light causes the sun to appear higher than it actually is.

The color of light that is refracted least by a glass prism is red. This is because red light has the longest wavelength and therefore bends the least when passing through a medium. As for how colors separate through a prism, this is due to a process called dispersion. When light enters a prism, it is refracted at different angles depending on its wavelength, causing the colors to separate. This is why we see a rainbow when white light is passed through a prism.

Your calculation for the angle of refraction in water seems to be correct. This can be found using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two media. In this case, the angle of refraction in water would be 28.9 degrees.

I hope this helps clarify your questions about light refraction and reflection. Let me know if you have any further questions. Have a great day!

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different optical density. This occurs because the speed of light changes as it travels through different materials, causing it to change direction.

2. How does light reflection occur?

Light reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface at the same angle it hit the surface. This happens because the surface absorbs and re-emits the light, causing it to change direction.

3. What factors affect light refraction?

The main factors that affect light refraction are the angle at which the light enters the medium, the density of the medium, and the wavelength of the light. Different materials also have different refractive indices, which can affect how much the light bends.

4. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

The main difference between reflection and refraction is that reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium. Reflection occurs when light hits a surface at the same angle it is reflected, while refraction occurs when light enters a medium at an angle.

5. How is light used in everyday life?

Light has numerous applications in everyday life, including lighting our homes and streets, powering electronic devices, and allowing us to see. It is also used in various technologies, such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels. Additionally, light plays a crucial role in photosynthesis, the process by which plants convert light energy into chemical energy.