Calculating Angular Acceleration of Bicycle Wheels

In summary, the angular acceleration of the bicycle's wheels is 0.8 rad/s^2. The bicyclist accelerates from rest to 24km/h in 14.0s, with a speed of 6.7m/s relative to the axel. The diameter of the wheels is 1.2m. The tangential acceleration is 74.8 m/s^2 and the tangential acceleration formula can be used to check the work. The rounding for the calculations is correct.
cristina
A bicycle has wheels of 1.2m diameter. the bicyclist accelerates from rest with constant acceleration to 24km/h in 14.0s. What is the angular acceleration of the wheels?

If the bicycle is going forwards relative to the ground with a speed of 24km/h, then, all points on the tread are moving around the wheel with a speed (s) of 24km/h relative to the axel.

s = 24km/h = 6.7m/s (I know the significant figures rules but I don't know where to round)
r = 1.2m/2 = 0.6m

w=s/r
w=6.7/0.6 = 11.2 rad/s ( is my rounding correct here?)

a=v^2/r=(6.7)^2/0.6= 74.8m/s^2

Is the reasoning correct?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A number in the problem has three digits (12.0), so that is what your answer should have at most, also.

The number 6.7/0.6 ought to have just 2 figures, but since the first number really should have 3 figures in the first place, and the second number is accurate to 3 figures, . . .

Tangential acceleration = angular acceleration * radius
is another formula you could use to check your work, which I only eyeballed. Looks OK to me.

cristina said:
A bicycle has wheels of 1.2m diameter. the bicyclist accelerates from rest with constant acceleration to 24km/h in 14.0s. What is the angular acceleration of the wheels?

If the bicycle is going forwards relative to the ground with a speed of 24km/h, then, all points on the tread are moving around the wheel with a speed (s) of 24km/h relative to the axel.

s = 24km/h = 6.7m/s (I know the significant figures rules but I don't know where to round)
r = 1.2m/2 = 0.6m
This is corect

w=s/r
w=6.7/0.6 = 11.2 rad/s ( is my rounding correct here?)
This is correct

a=v^2/r=(6.7)^2/0.6= 74.8m/s^2
The question asks for angular acceleration.

a = (delta w)/t
a = (11.2)/(14)
a = 0.8 rad/s^2

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly the rotation of an object is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity and dividing it by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What units is angular acceleration measured in?

Angular acceleration is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

4. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of a bicycle wheel?

Angular acceleration affects the motion of a bicycle wheel by determining how quickly it will rotate. A larger angular acceleration will result in a faster rotation, while a smaller angular acceleration will result in a slower rotation. It also affects the stability of the wheel, as a larger angular acceleration can cause the wheel to wobble or spin out of control.

5. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a bicycle wheel?

The angular acceleration of a bicycle wheel can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the wheel, the force applied to the wheel (such as through pedaling or braking), the shape and size of the wheel, and any external forces acting on the wheel (such as wind or friction). The design and condition of the bicycle itself can also impact the angular acceleration of the wheels.