Noise suppressor improves reception, why?

• Thread starter sasilverbulle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary: The noise suppressor seems to have activated some sort of AGC in the receiver, which is why the stations come in much stronger now.
sasilverbulle
Newbie here, not an EE, just an old Air Force electronic tech from the 70's...please be gentle. :)

I recently installed a noise suppressor inline to the 12v on my 70 Lincoln AM/FM radio. It cleaned up the "whining" noise just fine - but one interesting side note is that my FM stations come in a LOT stronger, not just clearer. Before I would loose my favorite FM station on the way to work in the same spots each time. After the noise suppressor I get the station strong the whole way.

This is creating a bit of a problem as the grey matter in my head can't seem to come to grips with why this could be. :confused:

The only thing I can think of is that the power is totally unfiltered in the radio and the "noise" on the line affected the tuning circuit. I don't have access to a schematic for this radio.

What do you'all think? Why do the stations come in much stronger now?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Someone can answer this better than I can, but the noise on your power supply can make its way into all the circuits of your device and interfere with the signal it is trying to output.

Power supply noise can be worse than noise in the actual signal, because usually filters are designed to remove the signal noise, but the noise they use to power them can make it to the output regardless of filters.

I'm sure there's lots of other reasons, but noise on power supplies is a problem not just for radio receivers.

P.S. Ya also you're right, the noise can get in the PLL or whatever tuning filter they're using and cause the tuning frequency to fluctuate with the noise

Last edited:
sasilverbulle said:
Newbie here, not an EE, just an old Air Force electronic tech from the 70's...please be gentle. :)

I recently installed a noise suppressor inline to the 12v on my 70 Lincoln AM/FM radio. It cleaned up the "whining" noise just fine - but one interesting side note is that my FM stations come in a LOT stronger, not just clearer. Before I would loose my favorite FM station on the way to work in the same spots each time. After the noise suppressor I get the station strong the whole way.

This is creating a bit of a problem as the grey matter in my head can't seem to come to grips with why this could be. :confused:

The only thing I can think of is that the power is totally unfiltered in the radio and the "noise" on the line affected the tuning circuit. I don't have access to a schematic for this radio.

What do you'all think? Why do the stations come in much stronger now?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

One big reason for the better "quiet line" performance is the Automatic Gain Control (AGC) circuit can now increase the gain of the input amplifiers more. That allows you to get better range and sound quality.

When there is noise in the circuit, the AGC will only increase the gain to the point where the noise is coming through strongly. Once the noise is reduced, the AGC will increase the input gain more to try to amplify weaker signals.

Does FM actually have AGC? I don't think so. A huge advantage of FM is to be able to run it wide open gain and limit it as to reduce AM type noise from lightning and etc.

Averagesupernova said:
Does FM actually have AGC? I don't think so. A huge advantage of FM is to be able to run it wide open gain and limit it as to reduce AM type noise from lightning and etc.

I think it would be pretty hard to have 70dB of dynamic range without AGC. You could probably do a simpler FM receiver with reduced dynamic range and some distortion of high RSSI signals, but I don't have any quantitavie numbers on a receiver like that.

Here's a typical WiFi-type receiver chip that shows the AGC feedback (block diagram on page 2):

http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/40-03/wireless_srd.pdf

In most FM receivers, a limiter is often applied after the IF stage which functions similarly to an AGC, and many designs have feedback loops to the IF stage, or the local oscillator in order to lock on the strongest frequency.

Thanks for the answers! That validated that I wasn't completely off-base on my deductions.

Related to Noise suppressor improves reception, why?

1. How does a noise suppressor improve reception?

A noise suppressor works by filtering out unwanted signals and noise from the incoming signal, resulting in a cleaner and clearer signal for reception. It is able to detect and isolate the undesired signals and remove them, leaving behind only the intended signal for reception.

2. What types of noise can a noise suppressor eliminate?

A noise suppressor can eliminate a variety of noise types, including electrical interference, radio frequency interference, and background noise. It can also reduce static and distortions caused by weak signals or atmospheric conditions.

3. How does a noise suppressor differ from other signal boosters?

A noise suppressor is specifically designed to target and eliminate unwanted noise, whereas other signal boosters may simply amplify all incoming signals, including noise. This makes a noise suppressor a more effective and precise solution for improving reception in noisy environments.

4. Can a noise suppressor improve reception for all types of signals?

Yes, a noise suppressor can improve reception for a wide range of signals, including radio, TV, internet, and cellular signals. As long as the noise suppressor is designed to work with the specific type of signal being received, it can effectively improve reception for that signal.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a noise suppressor?

One potential drawback of using a noise suppressor is that it may also filter out some desired signals if they are too weak or similar to the noise being eliminated. This could result in a loss of some signal quality. Additionally, noise suppressors may be more expensive than other signal boosters due to their specialized function.