Noether's theorem and constructing conserved quantities

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass m and charge e moving in a magnetic field B in the z-direction. The Lagrangian for this system is shown and it is proven to be invariant under spatial displacement in any direction. It is also shown that the system is invariant under an infinitesimal rotation about the z-axis and the associated constants of motion are found using Noether's theorem. The first constant of motion is found to be I1 and the second part of the conversation discusses finding the constant of motion associated with this infinitesimal rotation. The use of Noether's theorem is mentioned again, but the specific values for w_i and epsilon are still unclear.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m and charge e moving in a constant magnetic field B which points in the z-direction has Lagrangian ##L = (1/2) m( \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2 ) + (eB/2c)(x\dot{y} − y\dot{x}). ##

Show that the system is invariant under spatial displacement (in any direction) and find the associated constants of the motion.

Show that the system is invariant under an infinitesimal rotation about the z-axis and find the associated constant of the motion.

Homework Equations

[/B]
arbritary spatial displacement, ##\mathbf r' = \mathbf r + \mathbf a ##

infinitesimal rotation, ##\mathbf r' = \mathbf r + (\hat n \times \mathbf r) \delta \theta##

Noether's theorem : $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}} w_i + G = \text{const}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can write ##\mathbf r' = (x+a_1) \hat x + (y+ a_2)\hat y + (z+a_3)\hat z = x' \hat x + y' \hat y + z' \hat z## then read off the coordinates after the shift. Plug these into lagrangian and show it is invariant up to a total derivative ##\dot{F}## where ##F = F(x,y) = -(eB/2c) (-a_1 y + a_2 x)## and hence e.o.ms don't change and so system invariant. Does this seem fine? I think there will be three constants of motion here. Use Noether's theorem to find them, (as per the question), so $$I_1 = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} \cdot 1 + G,$$ where ##G = -\epsilon F##. What is epsilon in this case? I was thinking I could write ##\mathbf a = \epsilon_1 \hat x + \epsilon_2 \hat y + \epsilon_3 \hat z## where all the ##w_i##'s in Noethers theorem are set to one here and ##\epsilon_i = a_i##. So that ##I_1## becomes $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} \cdot 1 + \epsilon_1 \frac{eB}{2c} (-\epsilon_1 y + \epsilon_2 x)$$ Is it fine? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second part, I am more confused. What is ##w_i## and ##\epsilon## here? Is it the same as before? Is it just ##\epsilon \hat n \times \mathbf r##? Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Noether's theorem and constructing conserved quantities

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental theorem in physics that establishes a connection between symmetries in a system and conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. Why is Noether's theorem important in physics?

Noether's theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding the fundamental principles and laws of physics. It allows us to connect abstract symmetries in a system to measurable and physically relevant quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

3. How is Noether's theorem used to construct conserved quantities?

Noether's theorem provides a systematic method for constructing conserved quantities in a physical system. It involves identifying the symmetries of the system and then using mathematical calculations to find the corresponding conserved quantity associated with each symmetry.

4. Can Noether's theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Noether's theorem is a universal principle that can be applied to all physical systems, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. It has been successfully used in various areas of physics, including electromagnetism, general relativity, and quantum field theory.

5. How does Noether's theorem relate to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum?

Noether's theorem provides a deep understanding of the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. It shows that these laws are a consequence of the symmetries in a physical system, rather than being imposed externally. In other words, the conservation of energy and momentum are a direct result of the underlying symmetries of a system.