Eight Grader's Question on Deflecting Asteroids

• Thread starter Zeke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to deflect an asteroid from colliding with Earth, including using a huge magnet to reverse the Earth's rotation and position the Moon to take the asteroid's hit. However, this idea is deemed unlikely to work and other suggestions such as nuking the asteroid or changing its path through various means are considered more feasible.
Zeke
Um I am new to the forms i am an eight grade I am on the natinol honor role I am in algbra 1 i have won the science fair 4 years in a row. But now to my question i was watching armogedon and i thought about other ways to deflect the astroid i was thinking that we could get a huge magnet and put it at an angle witch it would reverse the Earth's rotation and by doing so position the moon to take the asteroids hit

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, Zeke. I hope you continue to ask lots of questions and learn from the good people here.

(1) Where would you get such a magnet?
(2) Even if you could reverse the Earth's rotation, it probably would kill most life on Earth too. Do it too fast, and you'll ravage the surface of the planet. Do it too slow, and the planet will bake in the sun.
(3) Even if you could reverse the EArth's rotation, that would not significantly affect the position of the Moon. The Moon is on it's own path which is affected by the Earth's gravity, not rotation (well, the Earth's rotation does have some effect on the Moon, but nothing that will be significant in the short term). You would be better off trying to push the Moon directly (of course, that would be next to impossible too).

The best bets are to attack the asteroid directly...(see recent article in Astronomy magazine)
(1) Nuke it to destroy it
(2) Nuke it to change its path
(3) Hit it hard to deflect it
(4) Warm it/cool it...will also change its path if given enough time
(5) Cook it (offgassing vapors may change its path)

What is the significance of deflecting asteroids?

Asteroids pose a potential threat to Earth if they were to collide with our planet. Deflecting them can help prevent damage and destruction.

How do scientists determine the best method for deflecting asteroids?

Scientists use various techniques such as computer simulations and experimental tests to study the behavior of asteroids and determine the most effective methods for deflecting them.

What are some of the proposed methods for deflecting asteroids?

Some proposed methods include using spacecraft to nudge the asteroid off its path, detonating a nuclear bomb near the asteroid, and using gravity tractors to alter its trajectory.

How likely is it for an asteroid to hit Earth?

The chances of a large asteroid hitting Earth are low, but not impossible. However, smaller asteroids can still cause significant damage and should also be taken into consideration when developing asteroid deflection strategies.

What is being done currently to prepare for potential asteroid impacts?

Scientists and organizations like NASA are constantly monitoring potentially hazardous asteroids and developing technologies and strategies for deflecting them if necessary. They also work with other countries to coordinate international efforts in the event of an asteroid impact.