Check Out the Lunar Eclipse Tonight - Night Calculator

In summary, there was a lunar eclipse tonight (15/16.5) and someone found a night calculator online that provided information about the eclipse and future eclipses. The person who saw the eclipse described it as absolutely beautiful, with perfect temperature and no bugs. However, the experience was cut short by clouds. Another person also had a cloudy night and only got a few minutes of clear skies to see the eclipse. Despite the clouds, they were still able to see it and took some pictures.
kyle_soule
Lunar eclipse tonight (15/16.5) and I found this night calculator

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/LunarEclipse.html [Broken]

that allows you to get information on the eclipse, and future eclipses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Absolutely beautiful. I just got in after spending at least 30-45 minutes just gazing at.

Yea...well...it WAS beautiful, perfect tempature no June bugs and then...clouds:frown: It's all gone!

Yup, perfect temp, no bugs, and lots and lots of clouds.

I got a good 5 minutes of PERFECTLY clear skys. I got a few pictures of it and turned around to set up my video camera, turned back around, and the moon was lost in clouds. I got to see it anyways though, can't complain.

cloudy night for me too

1. What is a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow on the Moon. This results in the Moon appearing to be a dark red or copper color.

2. When is the lunar eclipse happening tonight?

The lunar eclipse is happening tonight, but it will depend on your location and time zone. You can use the night calculator to determine the exact time of the lunar eclipse for your specific location.

3. Can I see the lunar eclipse with the naked eye?

Yes, you can see the lunar eclipse with the naked eye. However, it is recommended to use binoculars or a telescope for a clearer view.

4. How often does a lunar eclipse occur?

A lunar eclipse can occur up to three times a year, but not all of them are visible from every location on Earth. The frequency of lunar eclipses depends on the alignment of the Earth, Moon, and Sun.

5. Is it safe to watch the lunar eclipse?

Yes, it is safe to watch the lunar eclipse. Unlike a solar eclipse, you can watch a lunar eclipse without any special equipment. However, it is always important to protect your eyes when looking at the sun or any bright objects for an extended period of time.