Node/Mesh Analysis of a Circuit

In summary, In Mesh 3, the 10 V source is a drop because current goes through it from + to -. In Mesh 2, the 10 V source is a rise because current goes through it from + to -. And in Mesh 1, the 10 V source is a rise because current goes through it from + to +.
rkum99

Homework Statement

The following is a link to the problem diagram and my work: http://imgur.com/a/9tppH
The goal is to determine the power through the 20V voltage source.

Homework Equations

KCL and KVL: Currents entering a node sum to zero. Voltage drops around a loop sum to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to use mesh analysis as seen in the link above, but the answer I receive is incorrect. Its not in the images above, but the final power through the 20V voltage source would be P = IV or P = (1.66 A)(20V) = ~33.3 W, which is an incorrect answer.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem and work should be visible in-thread. Helpers should not have to go fishing for it off-site. Trying to point out issues in work that is in an image is difficult because individual lines can't be quoted. You may find that many helpers are not willing to make the effort; you will get much better responses if you take the time to make it easy for helpers to give you help.

My bad, I hoped that having everything in one place would make it simpler. Thank you for letting me know. I will relist everything here:

Homework Statement

Diagram:
ipD0nsI.jpg

The goal is to determine the power through the 20V voltage source.

Homework Equations

KCL and KVL: Currents entering a node sum to zero. Voltage drops around a loop sum to zero.

I attempted using mesh analysis.

Starting with Mesh 3: 4(i3 - i1) + 6(i3) - 10 = 0
Mesh 2: 12(i2- i1) + 3(i2) - 10 = 0
Mesh 1: 4(i3 - i1) +12(i2 - i1) - 20 = 0

Simplifying the above equations, I get:

10i3 - 4i1 = 10
15i2 - 12i1 = 10
-16i1 + 12i2 + 4i3 = 20

Solving it out, I get:

i1 = -1.66 A
i2 = -0.66 A
i3 = 0.333 A

Since I want to find the power through the 20V voltage source:

P = IV = (I1) (20V) = ~33.333

This is an incorrect answer, so I suppose I went wrong somewhere. If I had to guess, I would assume I improperly accounted for the 10 V voltage source in my equations? I would appreciate any help.

rkum99 said:

I attempted using mesh analysis.

Starting with Mesh 3: 4(i3 - i1) + 6(i3) - 10 = 0
Mesh 2: 12(i2- i1) + 3(i2) - 10 = 0
Mesh 1: 4(i3 - i1) +12(i2 - i1) - 20 = 0
The mesh 3 equation looks fine.

In your mesh 2 equation you are summing potential drops around the loop. Is the 10 V source a drop or a rise? Check the sign you've assigned to it.

In your mesh 1 loop you seem to have switched to summing potential rises. Again, check the sign you've assigned to the voltage source.

So, in the mesh 2 equation, the 10V source is a drop because the current goes through it from + to -.

Why would the signs change in the mesh 1 equations, however? In the mesh 3 equation, I subtract the voltage source as the current goes from - to +. Wouldn't it be the same in the mesh 1 equation - the current goes through the 20V source from - to +.

Sorry if I'm looking over something obvious - I'm having a hard time keeping track of signs in these KCL/KVL problems.

In the mesh 1 equation you changed from summing drops to summing rises. This must change the signs of everything. Look carefully at how you wrote the equation:

##4(i_3 - i_1) +12(i_2 - i_1) - 20 = 0##

Isolate just the ##i_1## terms: ##-4 i_1 -12 i_1##. Note how they are both negative? When you did your "KVL walk" around the loop in the direction of the loop's mesh current you wrote the potential changes for resistors as a result of that current as negative vaues. So you are writing potential drops as negative values. This means you should also write potential rises as positive values. That would include the potential rise due to the 20 V source since you pass through it from - to + while moving clockwise around the circuit in the direction of the mesh current.

You may find it helpful to get in the habit of always writing your equations in terms of either potential rises or potential drops, and not mixing them from equation to equation. Being consistent will avoid having to think about the signs of things every time; there will be one consistent rule to apply every time.

Likes gracy and rkum99

Related to Node/Mesh Analysis of a Circuit

1. What is Node/Mesh Analysis of a Circuit?

Node/Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to determine the unknown voltages and currents at different nodes and meshes within the circuit.

2. When is Node/Mesh Analysis used?

Node/Mesh Analysis is typically used when there are multiple voltage sources and/or current sources in a circuit, making it difficult to solve using other methods such as Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Laws alone.

3. How do you perform Node/Mesh Analysis?

To perform Node/Mesh Analysis, you first need to label each node and each mesh in the circuit. Then, you write equations using KCL and KVL for each node and each mesh, respectively. Finally, you solve the system of equations to determine the unknown voltages and currents.

4. What are the advantages of using Node/Mesh Analysis?

Node/Mesh Analysis is a systematic and mathematical approach to analyzing circuits, making it less prone to errors compared to other methods. It also allows for the analysis of complex circuits with multiple sources and branches.

5. Are there any limitations to using Node/Mesh Analysis?

One limitation of Node/Mesh Analysis is that it can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law and have a linear relationship between voltage and current. It also requires a good understanding of KCL and KVL, which can be challenging for beginners.