Noble gas electronic configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses the noble gas electronic configuration attained in the Lewis structure for COF2. It is determined that all atoms in the molecule fill their p shells by sharing electrons, resulting in an electronic configuration similar to neon. The conversation also mentions the need for F, C, and O atoms to fill their p-subshells and suggests drawing a Lewis structure to better understand the concept.
cosmictide
Homework Statement

For the elements in COF2, which noble gas electronic configuration is attained in the Lewis structure.

The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing that each element has a noble gas configuration of neon. Would that be correct. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A noble gas has a full outer shell, or more particularly, a full 'p' subshell.

For example, the electronic configuration of Kr in the ground state electron configuration is: [Ar].3d10.4s2.4p6

Similarly for Xe: [Kr].4d10.5s2.5p6

In the molecule, COF2, which element (atom) is most likely to fill its p-subshell?

Astronuc said:
A noble gas has a full outer shell, or more particularly, a full 'p' subshell.

For example, the electronic configuration of Kr in the ground state electron configuration is: [Ar].3d10.4s2.4p6

Similarly for Xe: [Kr].4d10.5s2.5p6

In the molecule, COF2, which element (atom) is most likely to fill its p-subshell?

Thanks for replying.

F has 7 valence electrons so I'm guessing that it's the most likely to fill its p shell which would give it the noble gas electronic configuration of neon. But when it comes to COF2 wouldn't all the atoms have a full outer shell by sharing electrons. Sorry I'm just a little confused I'd really appreciate if you could point in the right direction.

Thanks.

cosmictide said:
Thanks for replying.

F has 7 valence electrons so I'm guessing that it's the most likely to fill its p shell which would give it the noble gas electronic configuration of neon. But when it comes to COF2 wouldn't all the atoms have a full outer shell by sharing electrons. Sorry I'm just a little confused I'd really appreciate if you could point in the right direction.

Thanks.
Well, the number of electrons is conserved in a neutral molecule.

In order for F to fill it's outer shell, what must happen? Where does the electron originate to fill the p-subshell?

Also, look at the electron configurations of C and O. What must happen for those atoms to fill their p-subshell?

Astronuc said:
Well, the number of electrons is conserved in a neutral molecule.

In order for F to fill it's outer shell, what must happen? Where does the electron originate to fill the p-subshell?

Also, look at the electron configurations of C and O. What must happen for those atoms to fill their p-subshell?

I'm guessing that the electron would originate from the carbon atom.

Carbon needs 4 electrons and oxygen needs 2 electrons in order to fill their p shells. So in this case am I correct in thinking that all the atoms fill their p shells by sharing electrons? If that was the case wouldn't they all have the same electronic configuration as neon since their electronic configuration would be 1s22s22p6? What am I missing?

Thanks.

cosmictide said:
I'm guessing that each element has a noble gas configuration of neon.

Looks OK to me.

Try to draw Lewis structure.

Borek said:
Looks OK to me.

Try to draw Lewis structure.

Thank you :smile:

Related to Noble gas electronic configuration

What is a noble gas?

A noble gas is a type of element that is found in the far-right column of the periodic table. These elements have full outer electron shells, making them very stable and unreactive.

What is the electronic configuration of noble gases?

The electronic configuration of noble gases is characterized by having a full outer electron shell, typically with 8 electrons for elements in the second and third period of the periodic table. This configuration is also known as a "closed shell."

Why are noble gases unreactive?

Noble gases are unreactive because their outer electron shells are full, making them very stable. This means they do not need to gain or lose electrons to achieve a stable configuration, and therefore do not readily form chemical bonds with other elements.

How do noble gases affect chemical reactions?

Noble gases do not typically participate in chemical reactions, but they can affect the reaction in other ways. For example, they can act as a buffer or inert environment, preventing unwanted reactions from occurring.

What are some practical uses of noble gases?

Noble gases have many practical uses, including in lighting (neon and argon), welding (argon and helium), medical imaging (xenon), and anesthesia (nitrous oxide).