No-Slip Rolling & Conservation of Energy

In summary: When the marble reaches height h2, its translational motion comes to a temporary stop. So at that point, the velocity of its center of mass is__?___ and ω is (___see hints given by others____).Yes, when the marble reaches h2 it's velocity is zero and its center of mass is at that location.
Kavorka
I wanted to just make sure I was doing this right. The problem:

A marble of mass M and radius R rolls without slipping down a track from height h1. The marble then goes up a frictionless track to a height h2. Find h2.

I figure this has to be in terms of other variables, here is my work.

initial mechanical energy = final mechanical energy

Mgh1 = Mgh2 + (1/2)Mv^2 + (1/2)Iω^2

I for sphere = (2/5)MR^2

Plug in for I and cancel M's. Plug in v = ωR

gh1 = gh2 + (1/2)v^2 + (1/5)v^2

g(h1 - h2) = (7/10)v^2

h2 = h1 - (7/10)(v^2 / g)

Can the answer be expressed simpler?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:

A marble of mass M and radius R rolls without slipping down a track from height h1. The marble then goes up a frictionless track to a height h2. Find h2.

I figure this has to be in terms of other variables, here is my work.

I for sphere = (2/5)MR^2

Plug in for I and cancel M's. Plug in v = ωR

gh1 = gh2 + (1/2)v^2 + (1/5)v^2

g(h1 - h2) = (7/10)v^2

h2 = h1 - (7/10)(v^2 / g)

Can the answer be expressed simpler?
yes. What is the value of v?

angular velocity times radius. That's pretty much all I can think of in terms of substituting in something.

Hello Kavorka

Kavorka said:

This is incorrect.

I would suggest you to break the problem in two stages .In the first part the marble rolls from the top at height h1 to the bottom .In the second part it moves up to a height h2.

Just write the energy conservation equation for the first part .What do you get ?

The same thing, minus the Mgh2.

Kavorka said:

Read carefully the problem: the second track is frictionless. Is it possible rolling without slipping on a frictionless track? Think of a car moving on wet ice...

ehild

How am I suppose to find the 2nd height then?

This is a two step problem. 1st find the speed at the bottom of the track h2 = 0. Than use energy conservation again on the way up the second track where due to the lack of friction there is no torque and the angular kinetic energy doesn't change.

Kavorka said:
How am I suppose to find the 2nd height then?
When the marble reaches height h2, its translational motion comes to a temporary stop. So at that point, the velocity of its center of mass is__?___ and ω is (___see hints given by others____).

Why does it stop? The problem doesn't say that, it just lists an arbitrary height up a frictionless slope.

Kavorka said:
Why does it stop? The problem doesn't say that, it just lists an arbitrary height up a frictionless slope.

I asumed it implied it stopped otherwise the solution must be left in terms of the unknown variable 'v' but also in which case your solution is not correct because you have not identified ω properly as noted by others' hints (no friction on incline).

Kavorka said:

Yes it stops. The problem doesn't state it explicitly but it is in between the lines. If the mass hadn't stopped, it would still be moving upwards reaching even higher elevations. It is implicit the h2 is the highest point of the trajectory up the second ramp, so it must stop there.

Do you end up with height 1 = height 2 then? If not I have no idea what I'm doing.

Related to No-Slip Rolling & Conservation of Energy

1. What is no-slip rolling?

No-slip rolling is a phenomenon where an object, usually a wheel, rolls without slipping on a surface. This means that the point of contact between the object and the surface is stationary, and there is no relative motion between the two.

2. How does no-slip rolling conserve energy?

No-slip rolling conserves energy because there is no sliding friction between the object and the surface. This means that the energy used to overcome sliding friction in sliding motion is not required in no-slip rolling. Therefore, the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy conserved in no-slip rolling?

The amount of energy conserved in no-slip rolling is affected by the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface, the shape and weight distribution of the object, and the surface roughness. A higher coefficient of static friction and smoother surfaces typically result in more energy conservation.

4. Can an object exhibit both no-slip rolling and slipping motion?

Yes, it is possible for an object to exhibit both no-slip rolling and slipping motion. This is known as mixed rolling and occurs when the point of contact between the object and the surface is not stationary, but there is still a combination of rolling and sliding motion.

5. How is no-slip rolling used in real-world applications?

No-slip rolling is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of tires for vehicles, conveyor belts, and rolling bearings. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of sports equipment, such as balls and wheels used in sports like basketball and skateboarding.