No problem, glad I could help!

In summary, the solution involves using two equations (i and ii) to solve for the acceleration of M in the upward direction. The equations are Mg-7mg = Ma1 + 7ma1 and 7T - 7mg = 7ma2. The key is to add the two equations together, canceling out 7T and -7T, to get Mg-7mg = Ma1 + 7ma2. From there, the acceleration of M can be solved for.
MARK 42
In the arrangement shown in the figure, find the acceleration of M in upward direction. The pulleys are light. The strings are mass less and friction between the string and the pulleys is negligible.
hfDg9GZ.png

The options are given. The final answer is (B) and this was the solution:
GStiDpp.png

I don't understand the 1+7x2 step right there.
Also I fail to understand why there is 49m in the denominator of the solution instead of 7m (I'm assuming the equation is multiplied by 7. I might be wrong though.)
Can anyone explain me the solutions please? Thanks.

P.S.: Sorry about the low quality images, it was in a kind of jiffy.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution makes more sense without the line "1+7*2". The line above it gets multiplied by 7 and then plugged into the equation above it.

I don't understand the purpose of '1+7x2' either...

mfb said:
The solution makes more sense without the line "1+7*2". The line above it gets multiplied by 7 and then plugged into the equation above it.

Even if equation (ii) multiplied by 7, the equation must be something like this: 7T - 7mg = 7ma2
So, on adding the two equations, 7T and -7T will get canceled out and the result will be Mg-7mg = Ma1 + 7ma1 ...(the acceleration is equal. therefore a1 = a2 .)
I don't understand where the 49ma1 comes from.

mfb said:
The accelerations are not equal.
Then how come they changed ma2 to ma1 in the fourth last step?
That way, the step should be written as Mg-7mg = Ma1 + 7ma2 right?

MARK 42 said:
Then how come they changed ma2 to ma1 in the fourth last step?
They didn't, those are two different equations.
That way, the step should be written as Mg-7mg = Ma1 + 7ma2 right?
That is a possible way to write it.

Note the first two lines in the solution.

Likes MARK 42
mfb said:
That is a possible way to write it.

Note the first two lines in the solution.

Oh, got it. Sorry, silly mistakes. Thanks you were really helpful.

Related to No problem, glad I could help!

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to real-life situations?

Newton's laws can be applied to any situation involving objects in motion. For example, they can be used to explain why a car continues to move forward when the brakes are suddenly applied, or why a rocket propels forward in space. Understanding these laws can also help engineers design structures and machines that function efficiently and safely.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia, or its resistance to changes in motion. It is a constant property of an object and does not change with location. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. It can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field. In Newton's laws, mass is used to determine an object's resistance to acceleration, while weight is used to calculate the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. Can Newton's laws be broken?

No, Newton's laws cannot be broken. They are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of objects in motion and have been proven to hold true in countless experiments and observations. However, they may not always accurately predict the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as at the quantum level or in the presence of extremely strong gravitational forces.

5. How are Newton's laws related to each other?

Newton's three laws are interconnected and build upon each other. The first law sets the foundation for the second law, which explains how an object's motion changes when a force is applied. The third law explains the equal and opposite reaction to an action, which allows us to understand the effects of multiple forces acting on an object. Together, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of the behavior of objects in motion.