Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

No. of real solutions in exponential equation

jacks

Apr 5, 2012
no. of real solution of the equation $3^x+4^x+5^x = x^2$

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Re: no. of real solution in exponential equation.

The RHS grows superexponentially whether the LHS is quadratic. So, for obvious reasons, they intersects each other at most finitely often. A more close inspection of the behaviour would lead to the fact that they do indeed intersect ones.

PS I have no formal proof of this piece of problem, unfortunately.

Balarka

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Re: no. of real solution in exponential equation.

The RHS grows superexponentially whether the LHS is quadratic. So, for obvious reasons, they intersects each other at most finitely often. A more close inspection of the behaviour would lead to the fact that they do indeed intersect ones.

PS I have no formal proof of this piece of problem, unfortunately.
That argument looks correct to me. As $x$ goes from $-\infty $ to $0$, the LHS increases from $0$ to $12$, and the RHS decreases from $\infty$ to $0$. So the graphs must cross exactly once. For $x>0$ the LHS increases (very fast!) from $12$ to $\infty$ and the RHS increases much more slowly. If you differentiate both functions I am sure you will find that the LHS increases faster than the RHS for all positive $x$.

eddybob123

Aug 18, 2013
Re: No. of real solution in exponential equation

Hint:
Considering the function $y=3^x+4^x+5^x-x^2$, use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that there is at least one solution, then use Rolle's Theorem to show that it is unique.

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Re: No. of real solution in exponential equation

Opalg said:
I am sure you will find that the LHS increases faster than the RHS for all positive x
That is evident, as I mentioned before, since LHS grows superexponentially, i.e., \(\displaystyle << 5^x\) whereas the RHS is quadratic. I think this is sufficient to prove the fact.

PS I see eddybob just posted a rigourus argument of the fact here :D