No Obvious Objects Produce Gamma Rays

In summary, NASA's Fermi spacecraft has detected gamma rays coming from areas in the sky where there are no obvious sources. Although they hope to discover something exotic like dark matter, they are also considering other possibilities and will continue to search for answers. This phenomenon remains a mystery and further surprises may be uncovered as the mission continues.
Dotini
Gold Member
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/18oct_600mysteries/

"Fermi sees gamma rays coming from directions in the sky where there are no obvious objects likely to produce gamma rays," says David Thompson, Fermi Deputy Project Scientist from Goddard Space Flight Center.

"Of course we're hoping for something really exotic like dark matter, but we have to look first at all the other options," says Thompson. "Fermi is an ongoing mission. We'll continue to search for answers to these puzzles and perhaps turn up even more surprises."

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your thread title alters the meaning of what was said drastically. I would interpret your phrase, "no obvious objects produce gamma rays," to mean, "we can think of anything astrophysical that would be a source of gamma rays." That's not true.

What they were actually saying was, "sometimes we see gamma rays coming from places in the sky where there is no sign of any source that is emitting them." In other words, "we can't figure where these particular gamma rays are coming from."

cepheid said:
Your thread title alters the meaning of what was said drastically. I would interpret your phrase, "no obvious objects produce gamma rays," to mean, "we can think of anything astrophysical that would be a source of gamma rays." That's not true.

What they were actually saying was, "sometimes we see gamma rays coming from places in the sky where there is no sign of any source that is emitting them." In other words, "we can't figure where these particular gamma rays are coming from."

Agreed. I thought the same thing after I clicked into the thread. Very misleading.

Kronos5253 said:
Agreed. I thought the same thing after I clicked into the thread. Very misleading.

Agreed. The title needs needs some tweaking.

Respectfully, Steve

, Scientist

I find this discovery by the Fermi telescope to be very intriguing. The fact that gamma rays are being detected from areas of the sky where there are no known objects capable of producing them raises many questions and presents a fascinating mystery to be solved. While the possibility of dark matter being the source of these gamma rays is certainly an exciting prospect, it is important to thoroughly investigate all other possible explanations before drawing any conclusions. I look forward to seeing what further research and analysis of this data will reveal and am eager to continue exploring the mysteries of our universe through the ongoing mission of Fermi.

Related to No Obvious Objects Produce Gamma Rays

1. What are gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation with high energy and short wavelengths. They are among the most energetic and penetrating forms of radiation and are produced by nuclear reactions and radioactive decay.

2. How are gamma rays produced?

Gamma rays are produced by the emission of energy from unstable atomic nuclei, such as those found in radioactive materials. They can also be produced by high-energy processes such as nuclear reactions and collisions between subatomic particles.

3. Can everyday objects produce gamma rays?

No, everyday objects do not produce gamma rays. Gamma rays are only produced by processes involving extremely high energy levels, such as nuclear reactions or high-energy particle collisions. Ordinary objects do not have the energy to produce gamma rays.

4. What are the potential health risks of gamma rays?

Gamma rays can be harmful to living organisms as they have the ability to penetrate deep into the body and damage cells and DNA. Exposure to high levels of gamma radiation can lead to radiation sickness and increase the risk of cancer.

5. How are scientists able to detect gamma rays in space?

Scientists use specialized instruments and telescopes designed to detect and measure gamma rays. These instruments are able to measure the energy, direction, and intensity of gamma rays from distant sources in space, allowing us to study and understand the universe in new ways.