No interference if orthogonally polarized

In summary: This makes me wonder why I think I've never seen theories that assume the wave function to be a (three-dimensional) vectorial quantity, like the electric field in the classical case. The Born rule might be formulated with a suitable scalar product.The wave function is a three-dimensional vector in the Hilbert space. This means that it can have components in all directions. The Born rule is formulated with a suitable scalar product, which means that it takes into account the components of the wave function in all directions. Some components of the wave function can have 3D vector properties, such as spin and angular momentum in general.But I guess there's reasons nobody theorizes about this, maybe somebody could point them out to
greypilgrim
Hi.

A beam of previously unpolarized or diagonally polarized doesn't create an interference pattern behind a double slit if there is a vertically and horizontally oriented polarizer behind either slit.

The classical explanation is that the electric field is a vector perpendicular to the direction of the beam and perpendicularly polarized vectors don't add up to an interference pattern.

The (Copenhagen?) quantum explanation is somehow that the mere possibility to find out which way the photon took destroys interference.

This made me wonder why I think I've never seen theories that assume the wave function to be a (three-dimensional) vectorial quantity, like the electric field in the classical case. The Born rule might be formulated with a suitable scalar product.

But I guess there's reasons nobody theorizes about this, maybe somebody could point them out to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
This made me wonder why I think I've never seen theories that assume the wave function to be a (three-dimensional) vectorial quantity, like the electric field in the classical case. The Born rule might be formulated with a suitable scalar product.
Some components of the wave function can have 3D vector properties, such as spin and angular momentum in general.

greypilgrim said:
But I guess there's reasons nobody theorizes about this, maybe somebody could point them out to me.
Physicists came to understand that quantum states can be described by vectors in a multi-dimensional Hilbert space, and this works extremely well. There is no need to consider simple wave functions to have a vector component (although one could argue that the complex phase serves as a kind of vector component).

greypilgrim said:
The (Copenhagen?) quantum explanation is somehow that the mere possibility to find out which way the photon took destroys interference.

To expand on this a bit, if we look at the complete quantum state of the photon, measurement device, and environment put together, you can show that the more "which-slit" information the measurement device can gather, the stronger the interaction is, and the stronger the resulting disturbance to the state of the photon.

Not even counting the measurement device, if "which-path" information enters anywhere else (the environment), this also amounts to an interaction destroying the interference of the photon.

Related to No interference if orthogonally polarized

1. What does "no interference if orthogonally polarized" mean?

"No interference if orthogonally polarized" refers to a phenomenon in which two light waves with perpendicular polarization do not interact or interfere with each other. This means that the amplitude and phase of one wave do not affect the other wave, and they can pass through each other without altering their properties.

2. Why is orthogonally polarized light used in certain experiments?

Orthogonally polarized light is often used in experiments that require precise control over the interference of light waves. This is because orthogonally polarized light does not interfere with each other, allowing for more accurate measurements and observations.

3. How is orthogonally polarized light created?

Orthogonally polarized light can be created by passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter, which only allows light waves with a specific polarization to pass through. By using two filters with perpendicular polarization, one can create orthogonally polarized light.

4. Can orthogonally polarized light be used in everyday applications?

Yes, orthogonally polarized light can be found in everyday applications such as LCD screens, 3D glasses, and optical communication systems. By controlling and manipulating the polarization of light, these technologies can display images and transmit information.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using orthogonally polarized light?

One potential drawback of using orthogonally polarized light is that it requires precise alignment and control of the polarization of the light source. This can be challenging and may result in errors or inaccuracies in experiments or applications that rely on this phenomenon.