No-cloning and uncertainty principle

In summary, Nielsen and Chuang write that the uncertainty principle states that we cannot perfectly copy an unknown quantum state, but that we can perfectly copy a known quantum state. The no-cloning theorem states that we cannot perfectly copy an arbitrarily chosen unknown quantum state.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In an explanation to distinguish the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle from the Observer Effect, on p. 89 of "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information", Nielsen and Chuang start by writing:
"The correct interpretation of the uncertainty principle is that if we prepare a large number of quantum systems in identical states..."
However, according to the no-cloning theorem, we cannot perfectly copy an arbitrarily chosen unknown quantum state. So, do the authors mean "...if we were able to prepare (although in reality we cannot) a large number..." or "...if it happened that there were a large number of quantum systems in identical states and we knew that without measurement (which would collapse the states)..." Seems almost metaphysical to me, but maybe I am misinterpreting what Nielsen and Chuang meant, or maybe I am misinterpreting the no-cloning theorem, or maybe I am misapplying.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, according to the no-cloning theorem, we cannot perfectly copy an arbitrarily chosen unknown quantum state.
Sure, but we can perfectly copy a known quantum state, and apply the same transformations to all systems afterwards. That's all you need.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, mfb. That makes sense. To get to a known quantum state without measurement, I presume we are talking about states that are known because we have produced them, e.g. by sending them through a polarized filter or some such.

That is a good example, right.

Likes 1 person
nomadreid said:
"The correct interpretation of the uncertainty principle is that if we prepare a large number of quantum systems in identical states..."
The state is the mathematical thing that represents the real-world preparation procedure. The state is uniquely determined by the preparation procedure. If you subject many identical systems to identical preparation procedures, their states will be identical.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, Fredrik.

The state is the mathematical thing that represents the real-world preparation procedure. The state is uniquely determined by the preparation procedure. If you subject many identical systems to identical preparation procedures, their states will be identical.

That one can thus prepare identical states has become clear, and so gives a sense to the original quote I was asking about; my question was that I was originally (and, as it turns out, unnecessarily) thinking about states of particles which appear in nature which were not prepared by humans, and hence with an unknown state. So, even though my original question was answered by the idea that we are dealing with known states, I nonetheless wonder whether you include these unknown states in the "real-world preparation procedure".

Yes, I would say that doing nothing (or doing nothing other than to separate a specimen from its environment) is a preparation procedure.

It's tempting to think of physical systems as always being in a pure state, so that we only need to use mixed states when we don't know which pure state we're dealing with. But to me this looks like an additional assumption that doesn't change any of the theory's predictions. So if you're thinking of particles as always being in some state (prepared by the environment), you should probably think in terms of state operators (density matrices) rather than state vectors.

Likes 1 person
Thanks again, Fredrik. Makes sense.

Related to No-cloning and uncertainty principle

1. What is the no-cloning theorem and how does it relate to the uncertainty principle?

The no-cloning theorem states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state. This is because the act of measuring or copying the state would disrupt its original quantum properties, making it impossible to have two identical copies. This relates to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know one quantum property (such as position), the less we can know about another (such as momentum). In the case of cloning, the act of measuring the original state to create a copy would violate the uncertainty principle.

2. How does the no-cloning theorem impact quantum computing and cryptography?

The no-cloning theorem has important implications for quantum computing and cryptography. It means that it is not possible to copy quantum information, making it an ideal medium for secure communication. In quantum computing, the no-cloning theorem also plays a role in the design of quantum algorithms, as it limits the ability to duplicate quantum states and manipulate them independently.

3. Is it possible to clone a quantum state under any circumstances?

No, it is not possible to clone a quantum state under any circumstances. The no-cloning theorem is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified. It applies to all quantum states, regardless of their complexity, and cannot be circumvented.

4. What is the difference between the no-cloning theorem and the no-broadcasting theorem?

The no-cloning theorem states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state. The no-broadcasting theorem, on the other hand, states that it is impossible to broadcast the state of a quantum system to multiple different systems. In other words, quantum information cannot be shared or copied without being destroyed.

5. Are there any loopholes or exceptions to the no-cloning theorem?

No, there are no known loopholes or exceptions to the no-cloning theorem. It is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively studied and verified through experiments. Any apparent violations of the no-cloning theorem are most likely due to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the theory.