NMR Relaxation Times: Fe3+ & Mn2+ Ratios Explained

• Thread starter Baggio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr
In summary, the experiment conducted for the physics lab compared the relaxation times for a solution of Fe3+ and Mn2+ ions, with ratios of T1/T2 being found to be ~1 for Fe3+ ions and 4 for Mn2+ ions. The difference in ratios is dependent on T2, or the relaxation time eliminating field inhomogeneity, and is influenced by the nuclear properties of each transition metal. Scalar coupling, which is spin-spin coupling through bonds, plays a role in this difference as well. Iron-57, with a nuclear spin of 1/2 and no electric quadrupole moment, and manganese, with a nuclear spin of 5/2 and a quadrupole moment, have different nuclear
Baggio
Hello

We conducted an experiment recently for our physics lab to determine the relaxation times for a solution of Fe3+ and Mn2+ ions we then had to compare the ratios of T1/T2 for the two solutions and we found that for Fe3+ ions the ratio came to ~1 and for Mn2+ ions it came to 4 (i.e >1)

My question is why is there a difference in the ratios? It seems that it is all dependent on T2 (relaxation time eliminating field inhomogeneity). I've been hearing things about scalar coupling but I don't understand that idea fully. :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the nuclear properties of each transition metal. Fe(III) and Mn (II) may have the same number of valence electrons, but the nuclear properties differ in a not insignificant way.

Scalar (or J) coupling is just spin-spin coupling through bonds, usually within three or so bonds. It is one of those delightfully wacky quantum mechanical results that you eventually learn to just deal with and accept in NMR.

does anyone know exactly why the T1/T2 ratio is smaller for Fe and larger for Mn? Their electronic configs are virtually the same?

T2 measures spin-spin relaxation, right? So if you have two quadrupolar nuclei interacting (e.g. Mn), you're going to have a really fast relaxing nucleus, a really short T2, and therefore a much higher T1/T2 ratio.

The reason I said in my older post to look at the nuclear properties is because iron iron-57) has a nuclear spin of 1/2 (ergo no electric quadrupole moment) and manganese has a nuclear spin of 5/2 (ergo a quadrupole moment).

But I didn't want to give it away. It is important to understand that quadrupolar nuclei are like this, and therefore NMR studies on them are very tricky.

Related to NMR Relaxation Times: Fe3+ & Mn2+ Ratios Explained

1. What is NMR relaxation time?

NMR relaxation time is a measure of the rate at which excited nuclei in a sample return to their equilibrium state. It can provide information about the molecular structure and dynamics of a sample.

2. How is NMR relaxation time used in studying Fe3+ and Mn2+ ratios?

NMR relaxation time can be used to study the ratios of Fe3+ and Mn2+ ions in a sample by measuring the relaxation rates of these ions and comparing them to known values. The different relaxation rates of these ions can provide insights into the chemical environment and interactions of the sample.

3. What factors can affect NMR relaxation times?

Several factors can affect NMR relaxation times, including temperature, magnetic field strength, and molecular motion. Changes in these factors can alter the relaxation rates of Fe3+ and Mn2+ ions, making them useful indicators of environmental changes in a sample.

4. How do Fe3+ and Mn2+ ions differ in their NMR relaxation times?

Fe3+ ions have a shorter NMR relaxation time compared to Mn2+ ions due to their larger nuclear magnetic moment. This means that Fe3+ ions return to their equilibrium state faster than Mn2+ ions, resulting in a shorter relaxation time.

5. What applications does NMR relaxation time have in scientific research?

NMR relaxation time has various applications in different scientific fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, and medicine. It is commonly used in structural analysis, drug discovery, and disease diagnosis. It can also provide information about molecular dynamics and interactions, making it a valuable tool for understanding complex systems.