NMOS Transistor - Negative Vds

In summary, the NMOS is in different regions of operation depending on the given VGS and VDS values. For d), the NMOS is in triode region with VGS at 1.5V and VDS at 0.5V. For e) and f), the NMOS is in saturation region with VGS at 2V and 3V respectively, and VDS at -0.5V and -6V respectively.
WesleyPipes

Homework Statement

What region of operation is this NMOS in with a negative Vds?
Kn=250μA/V2 and VTN=1V

d) VGS= 1.5V and VDS= 0.5V
e) VGS= 2V and VDS= -0.5V
f) VGS= 3V and VDS= -6V

Homework Equations

(vgs -Vtn)≥ vds ≥ 0 -- Triode
vds ≥ (vgs - Vtn)≥ 0 -- Saturation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no issues solving for Id for positive Vds. In my book I see that the channel acting as the drain is determined by the potentials.

In both triode and saturation Vds is required to be greater than 0.

If I switch the drain and source to create a positive potential across Vds, how will this change me Vgs?

Thanks guys, have a test in the morning and don't want to miss easy points.

Physics news on Phys.org
d) Triode, VGS = 1.5V + 0.5V = 2Ve) Saturation, VGS = 2V + 0.5V = 2.5Vf) Saturation, VGS = 3V + 6V = 9V

Related to NMOS Transistor - Negative Vds

1. What is an NMOS transistor?

An NMOS (N-type Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) transistor is a type of field-effect transistor (FET) that uses a metal oxide semiconductor as its gate material. It is commonly used in digital and analog circuits to amplify or switch electronic signals.

2. How does an NMOS transistor work?

An NMOS transistor consists of three terminals - source, drain, and gate. When a positive voltage is applied to the gate, it creates an electric field that allows electrons to flow from the source to the drain, thus creating a channel for current to pass through. This channel is turned on and off by controlling the voltage applied to the gate, allowing for the transistor to act as a switch or amplifier.

3. What is the significance of negative Vds in an NMOS transistor?

Negative Vds (drain-to-source voltage) in an NMOS transistor is an important operating parameter. It refers to the voltage drop between the drain and source terminals when the transistor is in operation. A negative Vds helps to ensure that the transistor operates in its saturation region, which is necessary for it to function properly as an amplifier or switch.

4. How is the negative Vds value determined in an NMOS transistor?

The negative Vds value in an NMOS transistor is determined by the difference between the supply voltage and the voltage applied to the drain terminal. This voltage is controlled by the circuit design and can be adjusted to achieve the desired performance of the transistor.

5. What are some common applications of NMOS transistors with negative Vds?

NMOS transistors with negative Vds are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and other digital systems. They are also widely used in power management circuits, motor control circuits, and audio amplifiers due to their high switching speed and low power consumption. In addition, NMOS transistors with negative Vds are used in memory chips, such as dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) and flash memory, to store digital data.