Nightmarish michelson interferometer question

In summary, the problem involves closely spaced frequencies f1 and f2, where the moving mirror moves at a constant speed v. The goal is to explain how the Doppler effect on the light reflected from the moving mirror affects the recorded signal over time. The problem also asks us to estimate the value of v needed to resolve a frequency difference of 500 MHz between two modes of a laser within a time of 0.1s. There is confusion regarding the presence of a moving mirror and how it affects the doppler shift, as well as how to introduce motion in a Michelson interferometer."
sachi
We have to "closely spaced" frequencies f1 and f2. "The moving mirror moves at a constant speed v. Explain how the Doppler effect on the light reflected from the moving mirror affects the recorded signal as a function of time. Estimate the value of v required to resolve the freq. difference of 500 MHz between two modes of a laswe within a time of 0.1s."

I'm very confused about this. Under normal circumstances I'm pretty sure there is no moving mirror! I can only assume that the "closely" spaced frequencies are so closely spaced that they can't be resolved by the instrument, therefore we have to artificially introduce a doppler freq. shift in one of the components.
I'm using the doppler shift formula from spec. rel. that shift in freq. = (v/c) * original frequency. Therefore surely v = 500MHz *c/f1
or we could have used f2, as they are almost equal. I can't see how the time 0.1s comes into it. Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
sachi said:
We have to "closely spaced" frequencies f1 and f2. "The moving mirror moves at a constant speed v. Explain how the Doppler effect on the light reflected from the moving mirror affects the recorded signal as a function of time. Estimate the value of v required to resolve the freq. difference of 500 MHz between two modes of a laswe within a time of 0.1s."

I'm very confused about this. Under normal circumstances I'm pretty sure there is no moving mirror! I can only assume that the "closely" spaced frequencies are so closely spaced that they can't be resolved by the instrument, therefore we have to artificially introduce a doppler freq. shift in one of the components.
I'm using the doppler shift formula from spec. rel. that shift in freq. = (v/c) * original frequency. Therefore surely v = 500MHz *c/f1
or we could have used f2, as they are almost equal. I can't see how the time 0.1s comes into it. Thanks very much
Can you give us the whole problem? You are assuming we know what you are talking about here.

There is a doppler shift only if the mirror is moving relative to the source of the light. How do you get such motion in a Michelson interferometer? You need to clearly explain what it is you are talking about.

AM

Related to Nightmarish michelson interferometer question

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the wavelength of light. It consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a detector. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, reflecting them back to the beam splitter, and then recombining them. The interference pattern created by the two beams can be analyzed to determine the wavelength of the light.

2. What makes a Michelson Interferometer "nightmarish"?

The term "nightmarish" is often used to describe a Michelson Interferometer when it is used in certain scenarios or experiments. For example, if the light being measured has a very short wavelength or if the instrument is not properly calibrated, it can be very difficult to obtain accurate results. In these situations, the interferometer may produce confusing or contradictory data, making it a nightmare for scientists to interpret.

3. How is a Michelson Interferometer used in scientific research?

A Michelson Interferometer is commonly used in a variety of research fields, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It can be used to measure the wavelength of light from different sources, determine the refractive index of materials, and even detect tiny changes in distance or motion. It is also used in the search for exoplanets and other astronomical objects.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Michelson Interferometer?

While Michelson Interferometers are powerful tools in scientific research, there are some limitations to their use. They are only able to measure the wavelength of light within a certain range, and they may not be accurate if the light being measured is too bright or too dim. Additionally, the instrument requires precise alignment and calibration, making it sensitive to external factors such as temperature and vibrations.

5. Can a Michelson Interferometer be used to measure other types of waves?

Yes, a Michelson Interferometer can be used to measure other types of waves besides light, such as sound waves. In this case, the beam splitter is replaced with a material that reflects sound waves, and the mirrors are replaced with microphones. The interference pattern created by the sound waves can then be analyzed to determine their wavelength.