Vitality - phylogeny vs ontogeny

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of nature and nurture on survival instinct. The question is whether humans are driven by their genetics or life experiences to fight and flee for survival. It is noted that animals, such as praying mantises, instinctively prioritize their genetics for survival. However, humans have developed a will to live and can also sacrifice themselves for their offspring. There is a debate on whether it would be more beneficial to teach males how to dominate instead of being killed. The conversation concludes that it is difficult to separate nature and nurture in explaining human behavior.
Loren Booda
[From a string started by Mentat.] In what proportion do nature and nurture affect survival instinct? In other words, do I fight harder and flee faster to preserve my genetics or my life experiences?

Physics news on Phys.org
well instictivly u save your gentics many anmials do like the praying manties...the males are killed during sex that cut the population and makes room and food for offspring...

But we humans think we are above nature and came up with a will to live, but still wouldnet a mother (in movies atleast) give her own life in exchange for her childs?

Wouldn't it be better to teach the males how to take over the world instead of killing them?

I am of the opinion that one can not draw a clear distinction between nature and nurture when dealing with human behavior. When questions get ontological I generally have serious problems with them.

1. What is the difference between phylogeny and ontogeny?

Phylogeny refers to the evolutionary history and relationships between different species, while ontogeny refers to the individual development of an organism from fertilization to maturity.

2. How do phylogeny and ontogeny contribute to an organism's vitality?

Phylogeny provides an understanding of an organism's place in the tree of life and its adaptations for survival, while ontogeny reveals the developmental processes that shape an organism's physical and behavioral traits.

3. Can phylogeny and ontogeny influence each other?

Yes, phylogeny can influence ontogeny through inherited traits and adaptations, while ontogeny can influence phylogeny through natural selection and evolutionary processes.

4. Are there any differences in the study of phylogeny and ontogeny?

Yes, the study of phylogeny involves analyzing genetic and morphological data from different species to understand their evolutionary relationships, while the study of ontogeny focuses on the developmental processes and mechanisms within an individual organism.

5. Why is it important to study both phylogeny and ontogeny for understanding an organism's vitality?

Studying both phylogeny and ontogeny allows us to have a comprehensive understanding of an organism's past and present, and how it has adapted to its environment. This can provide insights into an organism's future survival and evolution.