NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition

In summary, the problem arises from the diffusion approximation in biomedical imaging, and a solution would be of great help in my research.
Meconium
Hi,

I am working on a quite difficult, though seemingly simple, non-homogeneous differential equation in cylindrical coordinates. The main equation is the non homogeneous modified Helmholtz Equation

[itex]\nabla^{2}\psi - k^{2}\psi = \frac{-1}{D}\frac{\delta(r-r')\delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(z-z')}{r}[/itex]

with Robin boundary condition

[itex]\psi - \kappa\hat{\Omega}_n\cdot\vec{\nabla}\psi = 0[/itex]

on [itex]r=a[/itex], the edge of a virtual infinitely long cylinder of radius [itex]r=a[/itex]. [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is a vector pointing out of the cylinder.

The solution [itex]\psi[/itex] must also vanish at infinity, i.e. [itex]\psi(r\rightarrow\infty,z\rightarrow\pm\infty) = 0[/itex], to satisfy the Sommerfeld Radiation Condition.

I have tried the Green's function approach in cartesian coordinates, though the Robin boundary condition makes it hard to easily solve. I have also tried it in polar coordinates, but I can't find any reference on how to use Green's function on periodic domains.

This problem arises from the diffusion approximation in biomedical imaging, and a solution would be of great help in my research.

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just curious, is this from what you're studying in college? Which course?

No it's not, I am working in an Optical Radiology Lab, and this problem is well documented in a cartesian semi-infinite medium, where the Robin boundary condition is simply on z = 0 (quite easier, isn't it?). However for a certain application (that I cannot disclose) I need to solve it in cylindrical coordinates.

Meconium said:
Hi,

I am working on a quite difficult, though seemingly simple, non-homogeneous differential equation in cylindrical coordinates. The main equation is the non homogeneous modified Helmholtz Equation

[itex]\nabla^{2}\psi - k^{2}\psi = \frac{-1}{D}\frac{\delta(r-r')\delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(z-z')}{r}[/itex]

with Robin boundary condition

[itex]\psi - \kappa\hat{\Omega}_n\cdot\vec{\nabla}\psi = 0[/itex]

on [itex]r=a[/itex], the edge of a virtual infinitely long cylinder of radius [itex]r=a[/itex]. [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is a vector pointing out of the cylinder.

The solution [itex]\psi[/itex] must also vanish at infinity, i.e. [itex]\psi(r\rightarrow\infty,z\rightarrow\pm\infty) = 0[/itex], to satisfy the Sommerfeld Radiation Condition.

I have tried the Green's function approach in cartesian coordinates, though the Robin boundary condition makes it hard to easily solve. I have also tried it in polar coordinates, but I can't find any reference on how to use Green's function on periodic domains.

This problem arises from the diffusion approximation in biomedical imaging, and a solution would be of great help in my research.

Thanks a lot !
Yay, radiology! :-p

I'm assuming your ##D## is the diffusion constant, right, and not some weird differential operator?

Yeah, it's only the diffusion constant, sorry for not specifying.

Meconium said:
I have tried the Green's function approach in Cartesian coordinates, though the Robin boundary condition makes it hard to easily solve.
You're sure it's too hard in Cartesian coordinates? Could you show us where it got too difficult for you?

The normal vector [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is directed out of the cylinder, so [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is [itex]\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] instead of only [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]

Meconium said:
The normal vector [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is directed out of the cylinder, so [itex]\hat{\Omega}_n[/itex] is [itex]\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] instead of only [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]
However, this hardship is exchanged for a rather unfriendly inner product, which makes the boundary condition more difficult than worth solving.

For Cartesian coordinates, we can just solve using a convolution and attempt to fit the Robin boundary condition.

Likes 1 person
I will try that then. Thanks a lot for the help !

Meconium said:
I will try that then. Thanks a lot for the help !
You're very welcome. :wink:

Related to NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition

What is the NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition?

The NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition is a mathematical equation used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of waves in a medium with varying properties. It is an extension of the traditional Helmholtz equation that includes a Robin boundary condition, which describes the relationship between the wave and the medium at the boundary.

What is the purpose of using the NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition?

The NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition allows for a more accurate representation of wave behavior in real-world scenarios. It takes into account the properties of the medium at the boundary, such as its impedance or reflectivity, which can greatly affect the behavior of the wave.

How is the NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition solved?

The NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, Green's function, or numerical techniques. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and boundary conditions.

What are some applications of the NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition?

The NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition has many applications in the fields of acoustics, electromagnetics, and optics. It is used in the design and analysis of antennas, waveguides, resonators, and other devices that involve the propagation of waves in a medium with varying properties.

What are some limitations of the NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition?

The NH Modified Helmholtz Equation with Robin Boundary Condition is a simplified model that does not take into account all physical factors that may affect wave behavior, such as nonlinearity or dispersion. It also assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.