Next-to-best theory grad schools

In summary, if you are interested in studying formal theory and are aiming for top schools like Harvard, Princeton, or Caltech, your best backups would be MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, and Columbia. Each of these schools has a strong program in theoretical physics with faculty members specializing in areas like string theory, quantum mechanics, and cosmology.
electroweak
There a quite a few threads out there about the big name theory schools but very little info on the rest of the top 25. Suppose I want to study formal theory (say, string theory) and am aiming for Harvard, Princeton, Caltech, etc, what should my backups be?

More helpful than a list (though I'll take a list) would be a brief description of the program at a particular school: who are the best thesis advisers; does research in the department have an overall emphasis? Anything else I should know?

I realize this question has likely been asked before (though I couldn't find it), so feel free to direct me to other threads/resources that you know of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best backups for studying formal theory in the top 25 schools would likely be MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, and Columbia. MIT: MIT has a strong program in theoretical physics with many world-renowned faculty, including Alan Guth, Max Tegmark, and Frank Wilczek. Their research focuses heavily on string theory, quantum field theory, and cosmology. Stanford: Stanford has a great program in particle physics and astrophysics, with faculty members such as Leonard Susskind, Andrei Linde, and Steven Giddings. Students can pursue research in topics such as quantum mechanics, gravity, and string theory. UC Berkeley: UC Berkeley has a very strong program in theoretical physics, with faculty members such as Savas Dimopoulos, Lisa Randall, and Michael Dine. Research here focuses on topics like particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. Columbia: Columbia has a well-respected program in theoretical physics, with research focusing on particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. Faculty members include Witek Skiba and David Gross.

Related to Next-to-best theory grad schools

1. What is a "Next-to-best theory" in relation to grad schools?

A "Next-to-best theory" refers to a theory or approach that is considered to be the next best option or alternative to the best theory in a particular field or subject. In the context of grad schools, it could refer to a theory or approach that is not considered the absolute best, but is still highly regarded and widely accepted within the field.

2. How do I determine which grad schools have a strong focus on "Next-to-best theory"?

The best way to determine which grad schools have a strong focus on "Next-to-best theory" is to research the faculty and their areas of expertise at each school. Look for professors who have published papers or conducted research on this topic, and also check the curriculum of the program to see if it includes courses or seminars focused on "Next-to-best theory". Additionally, talking to current or former students in the program can provide insights into the school's emphasis on this theory.

3. Are there specific fields or subjects that are more likely to have grad schools with a focus on "Next-to-best theory"?

Yes, some fields or subjects may have a stronger emphasis on "Next-to-best theory" compared to others. For example, in social sciences such as economics or sociology, there may be a greater emphasis on alternative theories to the dominant ones. However, this can vary depending on the individual school and its faculty's research interests.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of "Next-to-best theory" in order to succeed in grad school?

It depends on the specific program and the research focus of your studies. For some programs, having a strong understanding of "Next-to-best theory" may be essential, while for others it may not be as important. It is best to research the specific requirements and expectations of the program you are interested in to determine the level of importance placed on this theory.

5. How can I incorporate "Next-to-best theory" into my graduate research or thesis?

If you are interested in incorporating "Next-to-best theory" into your graduate research or thesis, it is important to discuss this with your advisor and explore potential research questions or areas that align with this theory. You can also look for relevant literature and studies that have used this theory and use them as a basis for your own research. Collaborating with professors or other students who have expertise in this theory can also be beneficial.