Newtons to Newton meters per second

In summary: I'm having some trouble understanding what you are trying to say. Can you please clarify what you are trying to say? Thanks.In summary, Chet is trying to say that he is having trouble understanding what Paulhook is trying to say, and that he would like help understanding what Paulhook is trying to say.
paulhook

Homework Statement

Ok so 1000(5.556 m/s – 0 m/s)/0.055 = 101018 Newton’s which is a unit of force. We know the force was applied for 1 foot of travel (.3048meters)

Homework Equations

So the incorrect conversion would be to multiply by .3048 to get 30790 Newton meters per second. I am missing the time component

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to divide 1 by 0.055seconds and than multiply that number by 30790? Any help would be appreciated I am baffled. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
paulhook said:

Homework Statement

Ok so 1000(5.556 m/s – 0 m/s)/0.055 = 101018 Newton’s which is a unit of force. We know the force was applied for 1 foot of travel (.3048meters)

Homework Equations

So the incorrect conversion would be to multiply by .3048 to get 30790 Newton meters per second. I am missing the time component

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to divide 1 by 0.055seconds and than multiply that number by 30790? Any help would be appreciated I am baffled. Thanks

It's not clear what you are talking about here. Some of the units have been omitted, which muddies the water further. 1000 what? 0.055 what? You've jumped into the middle of something here; we just don't know what.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you are talking about here. Some of the units have been omitted, which muddies the water further. 1000 what? 0.055 what? You've jumped into the middle of something here; we just don't know what.
Ya I definitely stepped in it. Sorry. 1000 is the weight in kilograms, and 0.055 is the time in seconds

paulhook said:
Ya I definitely stepped in it. Sorry. 1000 is the weight in kilograms, and 0.055 is the time in seconds
Mass * velocity = momentum

momentum / time = ?

SteamKing said:
Mass * velocity = momentum

momentum / time = ?
Ok I think that helps, Thanks

Hi Paulhook. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Part of doing science involves developing and using your communication skills so that people can understand you. We're very good at helping people, but we're not mind readers. Please put yourself in our place, and state your problems so that we can make sense out of them.

Chet

Related to Newtons to Newton meters per second

What is the conversion factor for Newtons to Newton meters per second?

The conversion factor for Newtons to Newton meters per second is 1 N = 1 Nm/s.

What is the difference between Newtons and Newton meters per second?

Newtons (N) are a unit of force, while Newton meters per second (Nm/s) are a unit of power. Nm/s is a measure of how much work is done per unit time.

What is the formula for converting from Newtons to Newton meters per second?

To convert from Newtons to Newton meters per second, you can use the formula Nm/s = N x m/s. This means multiplying the number of Newtons by the velocity in meters per second.

What are some real-life applications of Newton meters per second?

Newton meters per second are commonly used in physics and engineering to measure power, such as the power output of a machine or the power needed to do work. They are also used in sports science to measure the power output of athletes.

Is there a difference between Newton meters per second and Newton meters squared per second?

Yes, there is a difference. Newton meters per second (Nm/s) is a unit of power, while Newton meters squared per second (Nm2/s) is a unit of pressure. Nm/s is a measure of how much work is done per unit time, while Nm2/s is a measure of pressure over an area.