Newton's third law and a motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newton's third law and its application in different scenarios, such as an elevator being accelerated by a motor, a horse pulling a cart, and a weightlifter lifting weights. The key idea is that in a Newton's third law pair of forces, the reaction force due to acceleration is included, and the net force on the accelerating object is non-zero. The conversation also mentions that the concept can be confusing, especially for non-native English speakers.
philly20
hey people,greetings to everyone

i'm an freshman in physics so i have some problems understanding Newton's third law.
for example how can a motor accelerate an elevator upward,or downward?i know Newton's third law acts on different objects,i understood the house and the cart problem.
horse is pulling cart if the force from the ground that acts on the horse is greater than the force of the cart that is pulling a horse,but i don't see two pair of forces in a situation between a motor and an elevator??
also,how can we pull a bucket of water from the watter well,if the forces that act on a bucket and on us are the same?how can a weightlifter push the weight over his head?
please answer me to my questions through Newton's third law,i'm really confused
i'm sorry if i have some grammar mistakes,english is not my native language

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
In a Newton third law pair of forces, the reaction force due to acceleration, if any, is included. If there's acceleration, then the net force on the accelerating object(s) is non-zero. So in the elevator case, the tension in the cable equals the weight of the elevator + the mass of the elevator times the acceleration of the elevator. So the magnitude of force = weight + mass x acceleration, and the Newton third law pair is the upwards force exerted by the cable onto the elevator, and the equal and opposing downwards force exerted by the (accelerating) elevator onto the cable. In the case of a rocket in space, both the exhaust and the rocket accelerate, and both could be considered reaction forces.

Related to Newton's third law and a motor

1. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's third law apply to a motor?

A motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which causes the motor to rotate. According to Newton's third law, as the motor's rotor turns, it exerts a force on the surrounding air, pushing it backward. This creates an equal and opposite reaction force, propelling the motor forward.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's third law in a motor?

One example is a propeller-driven airplane. As the propeller spins, it pushes air backward, creating an equal and opposite reaction force that propels the airplane forward through the air.

4. What are some real-world applications of Newton's third law and a motor?

Newton's third law and a motor can be seen in various transportation systems, such as cars, trains, and boats. It is also used in everyday objects like fans, blenders, and drills.

5. How does Newton's third law affect the efficiency of a motor?

According to Newton's third law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that as the motor exerts a force, it also experiences an equal and opposite force, which can affect its efficiency. To improve efficiency, motors are designed to minimize any opposing forces, such as friction, that may hinder their movement.