Newton's second law with vectors

In summary, the object's acceleration is 1.56i - 1.44j and it's velocity is 14i - 13j at time t=14 s.
Shadow236

Homework Statement

A 9 kg object is subjected to two forces, [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif1 = 7 N i - 4 N j and [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif2 = 7 N i - 9 N j. The object is at rest at the origin at time t = 0.

(a) What is the object's acceleration?

(b) What is its velocity at time t = 14 s?

(c) Where is the object at time t = 14 s?

(All answers in unit vector notation)

Homework Equations

(a) Fnet=ma

(b) V = V0 + at

(c) X = X0 + V0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Fnet = F1 + F2 = 14i - 13j

Fnet = ma -> a = (14i-13j)/9
a = 1.56i - 1.44j (MARKED INCORRECT)

Why is this incorrect? If a = F/m then all I should have to do is add up the forces to get Fnet.

(b and c) I've used the equations above and got the answers wrong. Overall, I won't be able to get these answers correct unless I get the correct acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadow236 said:

Homework Statement

A 9 kg object is subjected to two forces, [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif1 = 7 N i - 4 N j and [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif2 = 7 N i - 9 N j. The object is at rest at the origin at time t = 0.

(a) What is the object's acceleration?

(b) What is its velocity at time t = 14 s?

(c) Where is the object at time t = 14 s?

(All answers in unit vector notation)

Homework Equations

(a) Fnet=ma

(b) V = V0 + at

(c) X = X0 + V0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Fnet = F1 + F2 = 14i - 13j

Fnet = ma -> a = (14i-13j)/9
a = 1.56i - 1.44j (MARKED INCORRECT)

Why is this incorrect?

Probably because ##1.56\ne14/9## and ##-1.44\ne -13/9##. They are just decimal approximations to the fractions, which are the correct answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Shadow236
So you think that I was correct to add F1 and F2? If that is true I should just leave Fnet as 14/9i - 13/9j?

Yes. You could always ask your teacher, or if it's an online problem, try typing in the fractions. In that case be sure to use parentheses as in (14/9)i

Alright, I will try that. Thank you very much. Are my equations for (b) and (c) okay? I just want to check because I've already submitted this question a few times.

EDIT: Hey, I got it right! =D Fractions for life, haha. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Those equations (b and c) are valid only if you have constant acceleration. Do you have constant acceleration? If so, you can use them.

Yes, I had constant acceleration. Thank you.

Related to Newton's second law with vectors

1. What is Newton's second law with vectors?

Newton's second law with vectors is a physical law that describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the net force applied to it. It states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton's second law with vectors different from the original second law?

The original second law of motion states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. However, Newton's second law with vectors takes into account the direction of the force by using vector notation.

3. How do you calculate the net force using Newton's second law with vectors?

The net force on an object can be calculated by summing up all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be represented mathematically as Fnet = ∑F, where Fnet is the net force and ∑F is the sum of all the individual forces.

4. Can Newton's second law with vectors be applied to objects moving in a curved path?

Yes, Newton's second law with vectors can be applied to objects moving in a curved path, as long as the net force acting on the object is known. The law still holds true, with the only difference being that the acceleration is now in the direction of the net force, which may not necessarily be in the same direction as the velocity.

5. How does Newton's second law with vectors relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's second law with vectors is closely related to the concept of inertia, which is an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion. According to the law, an object with a greater mass will have a greater inertia, and therefore require a larger force to produce the same acceleration as an object with a smaller mass.