Newton's Second law with Friction

In summary: Good job!In summary, the problem involves a block initially at rest on a horizontal surface with a horizontal force and a vertical force applied to it. The coefficients of friction are given and the question is to determine the magnitude of the frictional force for two different values of the vertical force. For the first case, where the vertical force is 6.00 N, the block does not move and the frictional force is equal to the applied horizontal force, 7.39 N. For the second case, where the vertical force is 9.00 N, the block moves and the frictional force is found to be 4.31 N.
SnakeDoc

Homework Statement

A 2.60 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. A horizontal force F of magnitude 7.39 N and a vertical force P are then applied to the block (see the figure). The coefficients of friction for the block and surface are μs = 0.4 and μk = 0.25. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the block if the magnitude of P is(a)6.00 N and (b)9.00 N. (The upward pull is insufficient to move the block vertically.)

Homework Equations

f=μN
F=MA
N=mg-P

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I wrote the x and y forces separately
Fx=max
max=Fk

Fy=may
may=-mg+N+P the y acceleration is equal to zero
0=-mg+N+P
N=mg-P

Then I found the maximum possible values of μs for both values of P
μ*N=.4*(2.6*9.81-6)=7.8024
μ*N=.4*(2.6*9.81-9)=6.6024

I was able to get b as 4.31 by Fkk*N
but I'm not sure what to do for part a because the maximum value for P=6N is higher than the F force and I tried doing the same as part b but it says the answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have done the hard part! In the second case, the block moves and friction is kinetic.

In the first case, the block does not move. What can you say about the forces on a block that isn;t moving?

PeroK said:
You seem to have done the hard part! In the second case, the block moves and friction is kinetic.

In the first case, the block does not move. What can you say about the forces on a block that isn;t moving?
That they are in a state of equilibrium?

PeroK said:

I figured it out thank you. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that I had already answered my own question. Since they are in a state of equilibrium then the acceleration is equal to zero so
max=F-ƒ so
0=F
ƒ=F so a) is 7.39

SnakeDoc said:
I figured it out thank you. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that I had already answered my own question. Since they are in a state of equilibrium then the acceleration is equal to zero so
max=F-ƒ so
0=F
ƒ=F so a) is 7.39

Yes, you got there on your own.

Related to Newton's Second law with Friction

1. What is Newton's Second Law with Friction?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. With friction, this law takes into account the opposing force that acts against the motion of an object.

2. How does friction affect the acceleration of an object?

Friction acts as an opposing force to the motion of an object, reducing its acceleration. This means that an object will accelerate at a slower rate when friction is present.

3. Can friction ever increase the acceleration of an object?

In most cases, friction will always decrease the acceleration of an object. However, in some situations, friction can actually increase the acceleration, such as when a car's tires grip the road to propel it forward.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration with friction?

The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has and the more force is needed to accelerate it. This means that an object with a larger mass will have a slower acceleration due to friction compared to an object with a smaller mass.

5. Does the coefficient of friction affect Newton's Second Law?

Yes, the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces, is included in the equation for Newton's Second Law with friction. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the force needed to overcome it and accelerate the object.