Newtons second law perspective problems

In summary, the first equation for the resultant force is the correct one, but the second equation may make more sense.
pinsky
attachment.php?attachmentid=29371&stc=1&d=1287926514.gif

I'm having some problems in observing the total force which.
The original situation is numbered "1."

There is a resultant force [tex]F_r = m_2 \cdot g - k \cdot m_1 \cdot g[/tex]

and because of that force m1 has the acceleration a.

What I can't seem to figure out is is that resultant force equal.

[tex]F_r = m_1 \cdot a[/tex]

or

[tex]F_r = (m_1 + m_2) \cdot a[/tex]

In defense of the first argument, I've drawn the equivalent picture (2.) in which the second mass is replaced just by the force it exerts to m1.

In that case, it is clear that the first equation for Fr is the correct one.

But, I've also drawn a second equivalence for which the second equation would make more sense.

I know that one of them is wrong, i just can't seem to figure out which :)

Attachments

• newton.gif
    newton.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 923
Science news on Phys.org
pinsky said:
I'm having some problems in observing the total force which.
The original situation is numbered "1."

There is a resultant force [tex]F_r = m_2 \cdot g - k \cdot m_1 \cdot g[/tex]
Careful! That's an equivalent 'resultant force' on the entire system along its direction of motion.

and because of that force m1 has the acceleration a.
The entire system has acceleration a along the direction of motion.

What I can't seem to figure out is is that resultant force equal.

[tex]F_r = m_1 \cdot a[/tex]

or

[tex]F_r = (m_1 + m_2) \cdot a[/tex]

In defense of the first argument, I've drawn the equivalent picture (2.) in which the second mass is replaced just by the force it exerts to m1.

In that case, it is clear that the first equation for Fr is the correct one.
Diagram 2 is incorrect. m2*g is not a force acting on m1. It's the cord tension that acts on m1.

Doc Al said:
Diagram 2 is incorrect. m2*g is not a force acting on m1. It's the cord tension that acts on m1.

But isn't Fstring=m2*g ?

Why can't I just ignore the string force, and just observe the string as a force carrier?

pinsky said:
But isn't Fstring=m2*g ?
No! Think about it. If the string force equaled m2*g, what would be the net force on and acceleration of m2?

Why can't I just ignore the string force, and just observe the string as a force carrier?
If you treat the system as a whole you can ignore the string force--it's just an internal force. But if you then choose to look at m1 alone, you must consider forces acting on m1.

I would advise against taking shortcuts until you are more practiced. It's generally easier to understand things if you treat each mass separately, apply Newton's 2nd law, and then combine the two equations to solve for the acceleration of the system. Of course, once you've done this kind of problem a few times, it's perfectly OK to jump to the solution immediately.

Thanks for the reply. I took me a while to SEE it right.

[SOLVED]

Related to Newtons second law perspective problems

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

2. How is Newton's second law applied to perspective problems?

In perspective problems, Newton's second law is used to determine the force needed to accelerate an object in a certain direction. This force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration in the given direction.

3. What are some common examples of perspective problems related to Newton's second law?

Some common examples of perspective problems related to Newton's second law include calculating the force needed to push a cart up a ramp, determining the acceleration of a car given its mass and the force applied by the engine, and finding the force needed to lift a weight on a pulley system.

4. How do you solve perspective problems using Newton's second law?

To solve perspective problems using Newton's second law, you first need to identify the object being acted upon and the direction of the force being applied. Then, calculate the mass of the object and the acceleration in the given direction. Finally, use the formula F=ma to determine the force required to accelerate the object.

5. What are some tips for solving perspective problems using Newton's second law?

Some tips for solving perspective problems using Newton's second law include drawing a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object, using units consistently throughout the calculation, and double-checking your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the given scenario.