Newton's Second Law: Momentum & Forces Explained

In summary, according to Newton's second law, if the same force is applied to two objects of different mass for the same duration, the magnitudes of their momentums will be equal. However, their velocities will depend on their respective masses.
lalobegar
Hi, I have a question that may be a little silly, but anyway, here is it...

From Newton's second law we know that F=dp/dt, this means that, if I apply a force to a body of mass m1 and then I apply the same force to a mass m2, then dp1/dt=dp2/dt, and if both bodies are initially at rest, the I could say that p1=p2, is that right?

Thanks in advance

Eduardo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if you have applied the force for the same duration to both objects the magnitudes of p1 and p2 will be the same. The velocities of the objects, however, will depend on their respective masses: v1 = p1 / m1 and v2 = p2 / m2.

Related to Newton's Second Law: Momentum & Forces Explained

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration, and the greater its mass, the smaller its acceleration.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

How is momentum related to Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law can also be stated as the rate of change of an object's momentum is equal to the net force acting on the object. This means that when a force is applied to an object, it will either increase or decrease the object's momentum depending on the direction of the force.

What is the difference between momentum and force?

Momentum and force are related concepts but have distinct definitions. Force is a push or pull on an object, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Force can change an object's momentum, but momentum can also be changed by factors such as mass and velocity.

How is Newton's Second Law used in real life?

Newton's Second Law is used in many real-life applications, including transportation (e.g. car engines, rocket propulsion), sports (e.g. throwing a ball, running), and even everyday tasks (e.g. opening a door, pushing a shopping cart). Understanding this law allows us to predict how objects will move and how much force is needed to achieve a desired acceleration.