Newton's Second Law: Force, Mass, and the World's Fate

In summary: It really depends on what you do with the equation (you can't just get rid of it, it is a simple statement about how much a massive object will accelerate under a force, unless you want to get rid of acceleration or something).Generally, things would be changed so much that there would be no way for anything like our universe to be around.But Newton's law already has stopped working, being in conflict with general relativity, and the world is still turning. Newton 2 says that I weigh 200 pounds (900 N or so for my SI friends) due to the mystical attractive 'force at a distance' that the Earth exerts on me as caused by the acceleration of gravity. GR says
itwillend
Second Law: A body will accelerate with acceleration proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass.
Would the world fall apart and be destroyed if this law ceased to be constant? If not, how can we/do we speculate what would be different?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
itwillend said:
Would the world fall apart and be destroyed if this law ceased to be constant? If not, how can we/do we speculate what would be different?

Thanks!

Seems like a homework question.

itwillend said:

Thanks!

generally Earth has some velocity.when it loss its path there is a chance to fll of world without accelration.

James Leighe said:
Seems like a homework question.
I am 33 years old and out of school. Homework is not part of my vocabulary now. So, do you have any answer besides this drivel?

SAINATHAN said:
generally Earth has some velocity.when it loss its path there is a chance to fll of world without accelration.
Not sure how this answers my OP?

Anyone else ever think about this?

There are an infinite number of answers to this question. Instead of just saying, what if f=ma isn't true, you must additionally posit what IS true. Possibilities:
F=mj (jerk)
F=qa (charge)
F=mv
F=0
F=ma^2

Etc. Each of these would lead to a very very different universe. Any specific ones you want to consider? Otherwise, the question is far too broad to give any answer at all.

Nabeshin said:
There are an infinite number of answers to this question. Instead of just saying, what if f=ma isn't true, you must additionally posit what IS true. Possibilities:
F=mj (jerk)
F=qa (charge)
F=mv
F=0
F=ma^2

Etc. Each of these would lead to a very very different universe. Any specific ones you want to consider? Otherwise, the question is far too broad to give any answer at all.
Great reply thanks.

Here is a more direct question. Could the universe as we know it survive if the second law stopped working. I suppose it isn't the different equations I am interested, but more if the ones that are in place, like Newton's 2nd observation are absolute in a sense. That if they were not true, the universe could not exist.

Anyway, hope that isn't still too vague. If so, sorry about that.

itwillend said:
Great reply thanks.

Here is a more direct question. Could the universe as we know it survive if the second law stopped working. I suppose it isn't the different equations I am interested, but more if the ones that are in place, like Newton's 2nd observation are absolute in a sense. That if they were not true, the universe could not exist.

Anyway, hope that isn't still too vague. If so, sorry about that.

It really depends on what you do with the equation (you can't just get rid of it, it is a simple statement about how much a massive object will accelerate under a force, unless you want to get rid of acceleration or something).

Generally, things would be changed so much that there would be no way for anything like our universe to be around.

But Newton's law already has stopped working, being in conflict with general relativity, and the world is still turning. Newton 2 says that I weigh 200 pounds (900 N or so for my SI friends) due to the mystical attractive 'force at a distance' that the Earth exerts on me as caused by the acceleration of gravity. GR says that there is no such thing as a gravity force, rather, gravity is the curvature of spacetime in the presence of mass and energy. Newton 2 still gives a nice approximation, though.

Thanks for mentioning GR, PhanthomJay. This is helpful.

Einstein's "General Theory of Relativity" predicted: the Sun's gravity acts like a lens and deflects light from distant stars, making them appear in new locations.

Distant distortions: This Hubble Telescope image [view from link]of galaxy cluster Abell 2218 shows how the cluster's warping of space-time distorts light from galaxies located farther out in the universe. Photo: NASA, A. Fruchter and the ERO Team (STScI, ST-ECF)

On November 7, 1919 The Times of London reported, "Revolution in Science, New Theory of the Universe, Newtonian Ideas Overthrown," sparking a media frenzy that launched Einstein into the limelight virtually overnight.
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/einstein/revolution/index.php
Great website from The American Museum of Natural History.

OK, supposing that pre-Newtonian thought, where it was thought things that were bigger or heavier would travel faster than objects smaller or lighter. Would the universe still work in similar ways as it does now.

I guess what I am getting at is, does the universe have to act in the way it seems to have acted for the last 13 billion years. Precisely in such a way, that if something deviated like a law, the universe would not have been possible?

itwillend said:
OK, supposing that pre-Newtonian thought, where it was thought things that were bigger or heavier would travel faster than objects smaller or lighter. Would the universe still work in similar ways as it does now.

I guess what I am getting at is, does the universe have to act in the way it seems to have acted for the last 13 billion years. Precisely in such a way, that if something deviated like a law, the universe would not have been possible?
Well, speaking of AMNH, and the 13 billion year history of the Universe, please watch this clip taking you on a journey to the beginning of time..then you decide...

http://interactivemultimediatechnol...2/known-universe-scientifically-rendered.html

Related to Newton's Second Law: Force, Mass, and the World's Fate

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Essentially, it explains the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

2. How is force calculated in Newton's Second Law?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. The formula is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

3. What is the significance of mass in Newton's Second Law?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. In Newton's Second Law, it is used to determine how much force is needed to accelerate an object.

4. Can you give an example of Newton's Second Law in action?

Yes, an example of Newton's Second Law in action is a person pushing a cart. The force applied by the person's hands (F) causes the cart to accelerate (a) in the direction of the force. The mass of the cart (m) determines how much force is needed to accelerate it.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the world's fate?

Newton's Second Law is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand the movement and behavior of objects in the world around us. It is used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy, mechanics, and engineering, to make predictions and explain phenomena. Therefore, it can be seen as a crucial factor in shaping our understanding of the world and its fate.