Newtons Second Law: Finding net forces

In summary, the spaceship exerted a force of 195 N on its pilot as it lifted off from the moon with an upward acceleration of 1.0 m/s2, according to Newton's Second Law. This is determined by adding the weight of the pilot (735 N) and the force of gravity on the moon (1.6 m/s2) to account for the normal force acting on the pilot.
battlebball

Homework Statement

A spaceship lifts off vertically from the Moon, where g = 1.6 m/s2. If the ship has an upward acceleration of 1.0 m/s2 as it lifts off, what is the magnitude of the force exerted by the ship on its pilot, who weighs 735 N on Earth?
From Halliday, Fundamentals of Physics, 9e

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law: F(net)= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm more looking for an explanation on why the answer is 195 N.
Granted I can see that they added the two forces. (75kg*1.0m/s2 + 75kg*1.6m/s2)

What I do not understand is why I need to add the two positive forces. I was trying to draw a few body diagram.

What I was picturing: two force vectors in opposite direction. So the magnitude would result in 45N if this were the case.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much force did the ship exert on the pilot before the ship took off?

When the ship takes off from the ground, does the ship exert more force on the pilot or less?

Take pilot as a center, now

Force acting vertically downward:

1. weight of the pilot

Force acting vertically upward:

1. Normal force

N - W = m.a

N = W + m.a

= 75(1.6) + 75 (1.0)
= 195 N

Hint: Mass = 75 kg because its 735/9.8

You need to know, why they added two force. Whenever you consider anybody in mechanics, forget everything about its surrounding. Don't think that there is an engine which is also exerting force. When we will consider aircraft as our body then there will be two force W and the force exerted by the engine. And since the aircraft is moving upward it means that the force exerted by the engine is more than the weight of aircraft but here in the problem, pilot is our body and only two forces (normal reaction and weight) are acting on it. Since the pilot is moving upward (in the same direction as that of normal reaction) therefore normal reaction is greater than weight.

snshusat161 said:
N - W = m.a

N = W + m.a

Thanks for the responses everyone. This pretty much explained it for me. I wondered why the weight wasn't calculated with a negative, but it was then added to find the normal. Thanks

Related to Newtons Second Law: Finding net forces

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. It can be expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you find the net force using Newton's Second Law?

To find the net force acting on an object, you need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. Then, you can use the formula F=ma to calculate the net force. Simply plug in the values for mass and acceleration and solve for the net force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force in Newton's Second Law?

The unit of measurement for force in Newton's Second Law is Newtons (N). This unit is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who first described the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

4. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to objects at rest?

No, Newton's Second Law only applies to objects in motion. If an object is at rest, the net force acting on it is zero, and therefore, the acceleration is also zero. This is known as the first law of motion or the law of inertia.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Second Law is applicable to many everyday situations. For example, when you push a shopping cart, the net force you apply determines how fast the cart will accelerate. Similarly, when driving a car, the amount of force applied to the gas pedal determines the acceleration of the car. This law also explains why it is easier to push a lighter object compared to a heavier one.