Newton's second law and a weight and string

In summary, the lower string will break if you pull it with a jerk, and the upper string will break if you pull it steadily.
rejz55

Homework Statement

suspended a heavy weight from a light string and attach a similar string below it. if you pull on the lower string with a steadily increasing force, the upper string will break; if you pull the lower string with a jerk, the lower string will break. please explain to me both cases why it happens? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
rejz55 said:

Homework Statement

suspended a heavy weight from a light string and attach a similar string below it. if you pull on the lower string with a steadily increasing force, the upper string will break; if you pull the lower string with a jerk, the lower string will break. please explain to me both cases why it happens? thanks!
This one's a bit tricky to answer, but if this is a homework question, you must show some of your attempt or thoughts on this before we can assist. You might want to think about how Newton's laws might apply for each case.

I'm not quite sure about the case of pulling the lower string with a jerk, but I think the force exceeding lower string's strength is less than the weight of the heavy block. Because of the inertia of the block the force applied to the block by the lower string is still not enough to move it, so the lower string will break. The upper string almost doesn't feel the force applied to the lower one. Am I right? And if yes, why do I feel it is possible to explain it more ellegant? :)

Couple of days ago I hit the tree with my bike and became wiser ;)
If you pull the lower string with a jerk, you give the block relatively large acceleration directed downwards, so large inertia force due to the mass of the block is directed upwards. So the upper string feels just the weight of the block (like before pulling it), whereas the lower string feels the force of pulling which is greater than its strength. Hence the lower string will break.
If you pull on the lower string with a steadily increasing force, you give the block relatively small acceleration, so small inertia force due to the mass of the block is directed upwards. Now the upper string feels the weight of the block enlarged by the force you pull it down, which in total is greater than its strength, whereas the lower string feels the tension of the upper one decreased by the weight of the block (i.e. if the weight of the block is nearly as the strength of the upper string, than you can break the upper string using just a tiny (steadily increasing) force directed downwards). Hence the upper string will break.

read about inertia in your textbook... and impulse, maybe...

Related to Newton's second law and a weight and string

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does Newton's second law relate to weight and string?

When an object is attached to a string and hung vertically, its weight is balanced by the tension force of the string. According to Newton's second law, the net force acting on the object is equal to its weight, and the acceleration is determined by dividing the net force by the mass of the object.

3. Can Newton's second law be applied to objects in motion?

Yes, Newton's second law applies to objects in both motion and rest. It states that the net force acting on an object will cause it to accelerate in the direction of the force.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. This is because the mass is inversely proportional to the acceleration according to Newton's second law.

5. How is Newton's second law used in real-world applications?

Newton's second law is used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing the forces acting on structures. It is also the basis for many engineering and physics principles, including the concept of inertia.