Newton's Laws - Positive & negative direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of positive-y and positive-x directions while solving homework problems, particularly in constant acceleration problems. It is explained that the positive direction is determined by the chosen reference frame and that keeping a always positive can result in positive and negative forces of gravity. The speakers also mention their personal preferences for defining positive directions and acceleration.
Thomass
Hi,
While solving homework problems, I start by defining a positive-y direction and a positive-x direction. Let's say up and to the right. Until now, I've applied this same rule to all objects in each problem, no matter the direction the object moves. But it seems I have not understood this fully.
While solving the problem for the attached picture, I had to define a positive direction up for box A, and a positive direction down for box C to get the right answer. Is the positive direction decided by which direction the object moves in constant acceleration problems like this?

pic1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you have to do this is because you have chosen to keep a always positive. A consequence of this is that the force of gravity is positive for block A and negative for block C to make F=ma come out right.
Thats not how I would have done it. I would have chosen up is positive always, and the acceleration for A would be a, and the acceleration for block C would be -a.

willem2 said:
The reason you have to do this is because you have chosen to keep a always positive. A consequence of this is that the force of gravity is positive for block A and negative for block C to make F=ma come out right.
Thats not how I would have done it. I would have chosen up is positive always, and the acceleration for A would be a, and the acceleration for block C would be -a.

I agree! I recall doing it this way before, had forgotten all about it. Thank you :-)

Related to Newton's Laws - Positive & negative direction

1. What are Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws are a set of three fundamental principles proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" to describe the motion of objects in the physical world.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does positive direction relate to Newton's Laws?

Positive direction is the direction in which an object is moving or being pushed, according to Newton's Laws. It is used to determine the direction of the net force acting on an object and to calculate its acceleration.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative direction?

Positive direction is the direction in which an object is moving or being pushed, while negative direction is the opposite direction. In terms of Newton's Laws, positive direction is considered to be the direction of motion and negative direction is considered to be the direction of resistance or force acting against the motion.

5. How do Newton's Laws apply to both positive and negative direction?

Newton's Laws apply to both positive and negative direction because they describe the behavior of objects in motion regardless of their direction. These laws can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in both positive and negative directions, as long as the forces acting on the objects are known.