Newton's Laws - friction, tension, acceleration

In summary, the two blocks of mass accelerated 4.27 m/s^2 when pulled across the floor by a force of 24 N. The coefficient of friction between the blocks and the floor was μ = 0.27.
buckybadger
Newton's Laws -- friction, tension, acceleration

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of Fp = 24 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is μ = 0.27.

a) What is the acceleration of the two blocks?

b) What is the tension in the string between the blocks? I think that this can be solved by setting up two equations: m1a = T - μm1g

and

m2a = Fp - T - μm2gThe unknowns in those two equations are exactly what I need -- acceleration and tension. Anybody know how to solve this?!

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried so far to solve them? Hint: Try adding them together.

Yes, I tried adding the two together by solving for T and plugging that equation into the other. Unfortunately, after crunching the numbers, I did not come to the correct answer.

buckybadger said:
Yes, I tried adding the two together by solving for T and plugging that equation into the other. Unfortunately, after crunching the numbers, I did not come to the correct answer.
Show what you did.

(Just add the two equations. What happens to the T terms?)

The two equations are:

m1a = T - μm1g

m2a = Fp - T - μm2g

I solved for T as such:

T = m1a + μm1g

Substituting this T value into the second equation, I got:

m2a = Fp - (m1a + μm1g) - μm2g

So,

3a = 24 - (2a + (0.27)(2)(9.8)) - (0.27)(3)(9.8)

Solving for a, I got 5a = 21.35, or a = 4.27 m/s^2. Unfortunately, I do not believe that this is the correct answer.

(Thanks for helping me with this!)

buckybadger said:
So,

3a = 24 - (2a + (0.27)(2)(9.8)) - (0.27)(3)(9.8)

Solving for a, I got 5a = 21.35, or a = 4.27 m/s^2. Unfortunately, I do not believe that this is the correct answer.
No, not correct. Your equation is fine, just check your arithmetic. (Careful with parentheses and signs.)

Related to Newton's Laws - friction, tension, acceleration

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that explain the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It can either slow down or prevent motion, depending on the direction of the force. Friction is caused by the irregularities and imperfections of the surfaces in contact.

3. How does tension play a role in Newton's Laws of Motion?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. According to Newton's Third Law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on the string, the string also exerts an equal and opposite force on the object.

4. How do Newton's Laws of Motion explain acceleration?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. However, if the mass of the object is increased, its acceleration will decrease.

5. How can Newton's Laws of Motion be applied in real-life scenarios?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as driving a car, playing sports, or even simply walking. Understanding these laws can help us predict and explain the motion of objects and how forces affect them. They are also essential in engineering and designing structures and machines.