Newtons Law Problem involving kinematic equation

In summary, to find the displacement of a duck with a mass of 3.0 kg, paddling with a force of 0.06 N acting in a direction due east and experiencing a current of 0.13 N in a direction 60° south of east, with an initial velocity of 0.12 m/s in a direction due east for 2.0 seconds, first calculate the components of the net force, then find the magnitude of the net force by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the components. Next, find the components of the acceleration by dividing the net force components by the mass of the duck. Finally, use the equation for displacement, D = V0t + (1
lolcheelol

Homework Statement

A duck has a mass of 3.0 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.06 N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.13 N in a direction of 60° south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.12 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 2.0 s while the forces are acting.

Homework Equations

ƩF = m*a
D = VoT + (1/2)aT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = 0.06 + cos(60)*.13 = .125 m/s
Fy = sin(60)*.13 = .113 m/s

sqrt(.125^2 + .113^2) = .1685N

.1685/3.0 = 0.0561 m/s^2

D = (0.12)(2) + (1/2)(.0561)(2)^2 = .3522
This is where I am confused, as I think I thought I was doing everything correct up until this point. When I enter this into the answer sheet it says it is wrong. I mistakenly used .13 for Fy instead of .113 and it gave me .326 m which is the correct answer.

Also I know to find the direction you use arctan(Fy/Fx) but I can't find it...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
lolcheelol said:

Homework Statement

A duck has a mass of 3.0 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.06 N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.13 N in a direction of 60° south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.12 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 2.0 s while the forces are acting.

Homework Equations

ƩF = m*a
D = VoT + (1/2)aT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = 0.06 + cos(60)*.13 = .125 m/s
Fy = sin(60)*.13 = .113 m/s

Careful with the units! Those are forces, not velocities.
sqrt(.125^2 + .113^2) = .1685N
That's better! That's the magnitude of the net force.
.1685/3.0 = 0.0561 m/s^2
Okay, that's the magnitude of the acceleration. But what are you going to do with that?
D = (0.12)(2) + (1/2)(.0561)(2)^2 = .3522
Uh oh :frown:

The acceleration vector and initial velocity vector do not lie in the same direction. So you can't just use their magnitudes to find the displacement.

Instead, keep the velocity and acceleration broken into components and perform the displacement calculation separately on each; Find Δx and Δy, then combine the results into a single displacement. These components will also give you the direction of the displacement.

So do you mean

x = (0.12)(2)+(1/2)(.125)(2)^2 = .49
y = (0.12)(2)+(1/2)(.113)(2)^2 = .466

x+y = .49 + .466 = .956

then do arctan(.466/.49)

Almost. The initial velocity will also have separate components (and they're not the same). What are they?
Also, be sure that you have accelerations to plug into the equation (not forces).
Also, beware of the signs on your components! Draw a diagram: the current is applying its force in a direction 60° SOUTH of east.

The initial velocity for x would be 0.12 and for y=0.

x acceleration would be .125/3.0 because of F/M = A
y acceleration would be .113/3.0 " "

x = .041 m/s^2
y = .037 m/s^2

x = (0.12)(2)+(1/2)(.041)(2)^2 = .322
y = (0)(2)+(1/2)(.037)(2)^2 = .074

then would you do sqrt[.322^2 + .074^2] = .330
or
.322 + .074 = .396

Last edited:
lolcheelol said:
The initial velocity for x would be 0.12 and for y=0.

x acceleration would be .125/3.0 because of F/M = A
y acceleration would be .113/3.0 " "
Did you check the signs for the components? What does an angle "South of East" imply?
Ax = .041 m/s^2
Ay = .037 m/s^2

x = (0.12)(2)+(1/2)(.041)(2)^2 = .322
y = (0)(2)+(1/2)(.037)(2)^2 = .074
Other than the component sign issue, you might want to keep a few more decimal places for intermediate results. I think that truncation and rounding errors are creeping into your results.
then would you do sqrt[.322^2 + .074^2] = .330
or
.322 + .074 = .396
Definitely the square root of the sum of the squares. The components of a Cartesian vector always "add in quadrature" that way.

Thanks for being so patient with me and all your help. I finally got it. Keeping separate the velocitys and acceleration components really helped.

Related to Newtons Law Problem involving kinematic equation

What is Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation?

Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation is a type of physics problem that involves applying Newton's laws of motion to solve for unknown quantities using kinematic equations.

What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are:

Position (x) = x0 + v0t + ½at2

Velocity (v) = v0 + at

Acceleration (a) = Δv/Δt

How do you use Newton's laws of motion to solve kinematic equations?

To solve kinematic equations using Newton's laws of motion, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object, apply Newton's second law (F = ma) to find the net force, and then use the kinematic equations to solve for the unknown quantities.

What are some common examples of Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation?

Some common examples of Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation include solving for the acceleration of an object given its mass and net force, finding the final velocity of a falling object, and determining the displacement of an accelerating car.

What are some tips for solving Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation?

Some tips for solving Newton's Law Problem involving kinematic equation include drawing a free-body diagram to identify the forces acting on the object, using consistent units, and double-checking your calculations for accuracy. It is also helpful to practice using different types of kinematic equations to solve for different quantities.