Newton's law of motion -- crates & strings & friction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate force and acceleration given the mass and coefficients of friction for three boxes connected by strings. The person also asks about the possibility of acceleration being zero and how to find forces in that case. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram to account for frictional forces.
HTT

Homework Statement

three boxes connected by strings.
given the mass of each box, coefficient of static and kinetic friction, and a constant speed of 2.0 m/s

I want to know how to get force by a given speed...!
Also, at a constant speed, how do I get to know the acceleration? does a = 0? if a = 0, how can I find Forces?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what acceleration IS?

HTT said:

Homework Statement

three boxes connected by strings.
given the mass of each box, coefficient of static and kinetic friction, and a constant speed of 2.0 m/s

I want to know how to get force by a given speed...!
Also, at a constant speed, how do I get to know the acceleration? does a = 0? if a = 0, how can I find Forces?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Start this kind of problem by drawing a free body diagram (FBD) of each of the crates. Be sure to show the frictional forces... that is how you can have a force even when the net acceleration is zero...

Related to Newton's law of motion -- crates & strings & friction

What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion is a physical law that describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force acting upon it. It states that an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How does Newton's law of motion apply to crates and strings?

In the context of crates and strings, Newton's law of motion applies to the relationship between the force applied to the crate and its resulting acceleration. For example, if a string is used to pull a crate, the force applied to the crate through the string will cause the crate to accelerate in the direction of the force.

What role does friction play in Newton's law of motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is an important factor in Newton's law of motion. In the context of crates and strings, friction between the string and the surface may reduce the acceleration of the crate. Additionally, friction between the crate and the surface it is resting on may also affect its movement.

What are the three laws of motion according to Newton's law of motion?

The three laws of motion according to Newton's law of motion are:

1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
  2. The force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
  3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do crates and strings illustrate Newton's first law of motion?

Crates and strings can illustrate Newton's first law of motion by showing how an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. For example, if a crate is at rest and no external force is applied to it, it will remain at rest. However, if a string is used to pull the crate, an external force is applied and the crate will begin to move in the direction of the force.