Newton's Law of Gravity and Potential Energy

In summary: The problem is that you neglect to take into account the kinetic energy of the objects. In summary, the two planets crash together and their speeds change, but neglecting the kinetic energy means that the final speed is not correct.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2 Jupiter sized planets are released [tex] 1.0 X 10^11 [/tex] m What are their speeds as they crash together?
I decided to try to do this problem with Potential Energy from Newtons law of gravity that is
[tex] U_{g} = \frac{\-GMM}{r} [/tex]
I set the 0 of potential energy at the point when the planet's center's crash together. So the change in potential will be the starting point minus the point when the planets just hit (when the distance between them is twice the radius of Jupiter- their outer edges are just touching). Mathmatically this is:
[tex] \Delta U_{g} = \frac{\-GMM}{1.0014 X 10^11 m} - \frac{\-GMM}{1.398 X 10^8} [/tex]
Now I should be able to just set the change in kinetic energy equal to the change in potential, but I'm not gettign the right answer. Can someone show me what's wrong with my reasoning. For anyone who has the book this problem is in Knight Chapter 12 #49. Thanks Alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry in the second latex line the first term should be negative with the second term positive i think. And in the first line taht should be [tex] 1.0X10^(11) m [/tex] (im not to good at latex yet :rolleyes: )

did you make sure that both planets have kinetic energy? you may need to show some more work.

[tex] U_i = \frac {-GMM}{1 \times 10^{11} m} [/tex]

[tex] U_f = \frac {-GMM}{2(radius of jupiter)} [/tex]

i think you already have this down so far.

[tex] U = KE_1 + KE_2 [/tex]
[tex] KE_1 = KE_2 [/tex]
[tex] U = 2KE [/tex]
[tex] \Delta U = 2 KE [/tex]

Last edited:
the way i was thinking is that both planets move the same distance in relation to each other and they'd both have the same KE. What your saying though is that each planet would have half of the kinetic energy. I guess that makes sense. Let me try it I'll post when i come up with anything.

OK that was my problem. I don't know why i didn't see that in the first place. Thanks a lot andrew you were a big help!

G01 said:
2 Jupiter sized planets are released [tex] 1.0 X 10^11 [/tex] m What are their speeds as they crash together?
I decided to try to do this problem with Potential Energy from Newtons law of gravity that is
[tex] U_{g} = \frac{\-GMM}{r} [/tex]
I set the 0 of potential energy at the point when the planet's center's crash together. So the change in potential will be the starting point minus the point when the planets just hit (when the distance between them is twice the radius of Jupiter- their outer edges are just touching). Mathmatically this is:
[tex] \Delta U_{g} = \frac{\-GMM}{1.0014 X 10^11 m} - \frac{\-GMM}{1.398 X 10^8} [/tex]
Now I should be able to just set the change in kinetic energy equal to the change in potential, but I'm not gettign the right answer. Can someone show me what's wrong with my reasoning. For anyone who has the book this problem is in Knight Chapter 12 #49. Thanks Alot.
The system is under the influence of gravity alone, so we one can relate the initial and final state of their velocity, and position using the conservation of mechanical energy.

Related to Newton's Law of Gravity and Potential Energy

1. What is Newton's Law of Gravity?

Newton's Law of Gravity states that any two objects in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect gravitational force?

According to Newton's Law of Gravity, gravitational force decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

4. What is potential energy in relation to Newton's Law of Gravity?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. In the case of Newton's Law of Gravity, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in relation to another object with mass.

5. How does potential energy change when an object moves in a gravitational field?

Potential energy changes in a gravitational field when an object moves either closer or farther away from the center of the field. As an object moves closer, its potential energy decreases, and as it moves farther away, its potential energy increases.