Newtons equation for gravitational force

In summary, The question is asking how to find the periodic time T of the moon using the equation F=md\frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}. The equation F=mg=GMm/r^2 is used to solve for GM. The equation F=G\frac{Mm}{d^2} is used to solve for the distance M of the moon from the Earth's center. The equation F=m*v^2/r is used to solve for the velocity v of the moon. The equation F=m*vsrd/d is used to solve for the distance d of the moon from the Earth's center. The equation T=2pi*r*sq
louveargente
The question: assuming that the moon circles the Earth in an orbit of radius d show thatthe periodic time T of the moon may be expressed as: T=2pi d sqrt d/r sqrt g where r is the radius of Earth and g is acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface

i took up physics 2 to 3 months ago on my own and I am definately missing something here
its eay to get Tsqrd=4pi Rcubed/GM but iv only readas faras chapter 12 and i can't think how to figure this out

can get T=2pi r sqrtr/sqrt GMbut not much more :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is fairly simple using Newtons equation for gravitational force and some circular motion equation for force involving period. Can you attempt to show the steps you've gone through already?

I'll write in latex the equation you're trying to find.

[tex] T=2\pi \frac{d\sqrt{d}}{r\sqrt{g}} [/tex]

Equations you'll need:

[tex] F = md \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2} [/tex]

[tex] F = G \frac{Mm}{d^2} [/tex]

[tex] g = G \frac{M}{r^2} [/tex]

Last edited:
how is force equal to mass by distance by 4 pi squared all over period squared.i should prob know :{ i think i may be more lost than i thought. thanks for the equations i'l be back if i make progress! il read the chapterinside oput again.

pardon my typeing errors. physics is melting my brain. moreso! lol.

The first equation I posted is used when dealing with circular motion. I do not know if you've studied circular motion yourself.

There is a page here with various links to concise tutorials on the subject.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/circ.html

louveargente said:
how is force equal to mass by distance by 4 pi squared all over period squared.i should prob know :{ i think i may be more lost than i thought. thanks for the equations i'l be back if i make progress! il read the chapterinside oput again.

I think the only equations you really want to remember are i) F=ma, ii) F=GMm/r^2, and iii) a=v^2/r (for circular motion). Kurdt's first equation is just F=ma combined with a=v^2/r (and v expressed as 2*pi*r/T). Since you say you already have
T=2*pi*r*sqrt(r)/sqrt(GM), then you are almost there. Just look at F=mg=GMm/r^2 (Kurdt's last equation and combination of i) with ii)). Solve for GM and put that into your expression for T. Be careful, there are two different radii around (the radius of the orbit d and the radius of the Earth r) - be sure you use the correct one in each expression - because I haven't.

i don't understand how Earth's radius and gravity come into it. centripetal acceleration is equal to the force of gravitational attraction. the equations say its at the height or distance of the moons orbit d.
m*v squared/r =GMm/d squared. d is the distance of moons orbit from centre of earth.
the acceleration of grav or force of grav on Earth is completely different to that of moon in orbit with radius d as opposed to Earth's radius r??
am i raving?

louveargente said:
i don't understand how Earth's radius and gravity come into it. centripetal acceleration is equal to the force of gravitational attraction. the equations say its at the height or distance of the moons orbit d.
m*v squared/r =GMm/d squared. d is the distance of moons orbit from centre of earth.
the acceleration of grav or force of grav on Earth is completely different to that of moon in orbit with radius d as opposed to Earth's radius r??
am i raving?

You aren't raving, but you are looking in the wrong direction. You are correct that g at the Earth's surface has nothing to do with the orbit of the moon. But for some reason in the equation you are being asked to show they have substituted an expression for sqrt(GM) involving the Earth's radius and g. Find an equation to solve for GM involving those two variables.

thanks! :}

guys ye don't know how much ye've actually just helped me and now that i go over wat ye said it seems very clear! i think iv got it ;} right so it goes:
m*vsrd/d=GMm/dsqrd where d is moon orbital radius so vsqrd is GM/d.
then time T=2pid/v. make t a squared, sub in v squared end up with:
Tsqrd=4pi sqrd *dcubed/GM therefor Tsqrd*GM=4pi sqrd*dcubed and magically mathematically divide by the Earth radius squared (rsqrd) so that the T sqrd*GM/rsqrd becomes T sqrd*g. divide across get roots and end up with desired mad answer
T=2pid*sqrtd/r*sqrtg.
now i can sleep! you guys are brill:!) wen i figure out this physics stuff i promise il try to work out that latex thing that makes the maths look nicer

I'm not personally very fond of questions like this that want you to make seemingly ridiculous substitutions. I'd personally prefer to leave it in terms of constants like G and the mass of the Earth. I suppose it helps you with your maths anyway.

Related to Newtons equation for gravitational force

1. What is Newton's equation for gravitational force?

Newton's equation for gravitational force is represented as F = G(m1m2)/r². It describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How did Newton develop this equation?

Isaac Newton developed this equation in his famous work "Principia Mathematica" in 1687. He used his laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation to derive this equation, which explains the force of gravity between any two masses.

3. What does the value of G represent in this equation?

The value of G in Newton's equation represents the universal gravitational constant, which is a fundamental constant that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm²/kg².

4. Can this equation be used to calculate the force between any two objects?

Yes, Newton's equation for gravitational force can be used to calculate the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. It is applicable to objects of any size, as long as they have mass and are separated by a distance.

5. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The distance between two objects has a direct relationship with the gravitational force between them. As the distance increases, the force of attraction decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, which is represented by the r² term in Newton's equation.