Newton's Constant Help: Kainaan's Question

In summary, G is a constant that represents the strength of gravity and has a value of 6.7 x 10^-11. In a different universe, if the value of G were different, the strength of gravity would also be different. However, discussing changes to non-dimensionless constants like G can be problematic.
Kainaan
Hello my name is Kainaan i just joined this forum, I am 14 and i love every related to physics, i study quantum hysics and general relativity. I have a question about Newtons constant, i have been reading on the Schwarzschild radius and came across the equation for it, in the eqaution it has the variable G which stands for Newtons constant, i understand all of the other stuff in the equation and i know what Newtons constant is (6.7 x 10 to the -11), but i don't understand what it means like what it is.

if you could please explain it to me that would be awesome, i hope to talk to you all about other physics topics in the near future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

In some sense, G is a measure of the strength of gravity. If G were larger, gravity would be stronger; if G were smaller, gravity would be weaker.

but isn't G a constant and therefor always the same, so i can not be larger or smaller its just always the same thing.

Last edited:
Kainaan said:
but isn't G a constant and therefor always the same, so i can not be larger or smaller its just always the same thing.
Yeah, but you can imagine a different universe where the constant takes a different value, and figure out how the behavior of matter and energy would be different in that universe. Although, there are problems with talking about changes to values of non-dimensionless constants like G or the speed of light...see the discussion here, and see here for a list of dimensionless constants (all particle masses can be made dimensionless by dividing by the Planck mass).

Kainaan said:

Right. The idea is to imagine universes that have different values of G than the value of G that we measure in reality.

If in an imaginary universe G is larger than what we really measure, gravity in the imagined universe would be stronger that it is in our universe; if in an imaginary universe G is smaller than what we really measure, gravity in the imagined universe would be weaker that it is in our universe.

Edit: JesseM was faster.

ok now i understand thanks for the help

Related to Newton's Constant Help: Kainaan's Question

1. What is Newton's Constant?

Newton's Constant, also known as the Gravitational Constant, is a physical constant that appears in the law of universal gravitation formulated by Sir Isaac Newton. It is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

2. How is Newton's Constant calculated?

Newton's Constant is calculated by determining the force of gravity between two objects with known masses and distances, and then dividing that force by the product of the masses and the squared distance between them.

3. What are the units of Newton's Constant?

The units of Newton's Constant are N⋅m²/kg², which can also be written as m³⋅kg⁻¹⋅s⁻². This represents the force of gravity between two objects with masses of 1 kg each, located 1 meter apart.

4. Why is Newton's Constant important?

Newton's Constant is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the force of gravity, which is a fundamental force in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, including celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

5. What is the value of Newton's Constant?

The currently accepted value of Newton's Constant is 6.67430 × 10⁻¹¹ m³⋅kg⁻¹⋅s⁻². This value was determined through numerous experiments and measurements, and is considered to be a fundamental constant in physics.