Newton's 2nd Law - Rotation, Torque, Disk

In summary, the equations used in this problem are Newton's 2nd Law (F = ma) and the Torque Equation (τ = Iα). To solve for the magnitude of acceleration and the two tensions, the equation T2R - T1R = .5MR^2(a/R) was used, where a is the angular acceleration and R is the radius of the disk.
VitaX

Homework Statement

350ti1c.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd Law F = ma
Torque Equation τ = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know I have to write separate equations for the masses and tensions so I got this:
T1 - m1g = m1a
T2 - m2g = -m2a -----> (negative because acceleration downwards is negative)
How do I write Newton's 2nd Law for the disk and relate it to the two equations above so I'm able to solve for the magnitude of acceleration and the two tensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VitaX! :smile:
VitaX said:
Newton's 2nd Law F = ma
Torque Equation τ = Iα

How do I write Newton's 2nd Law for the disk and relate it to the two equations above so I'm able to solve for the magnitude of acceleration and the two tensions?

Your τ = Iα is instead of Newton's 2nd Law …

just convert T1 and T2 into torque (and a into angular acceleration) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi VitaX! :smile:

Your τ = Iα is instead of Newton's 2nd Law …

just convert T1 and T2 into torque (and a into angular acceleration) :wink:

Yeah I asked for some help from a dude on msn and was able to write the equation. Ended up being T2R - T1R = .5MR^2(a/R)

Related to Newton's 2nd Law - Rotation, Torque, Disk

What is Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation?

Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation states that the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque acting on the object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. In simpler terms, this law explains how a force applied to an object can cause it to rotate.

How is torque related to Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is a crucial component of Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation. The net torque acting on an object is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration. This relationship helps explain how a force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation can cause an object to rotate.

What is the moment of inertia in Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. In Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation, the moment of inertia is a crucial factor in determining the object's angular acceleration.

How does Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation apply to a spinning disk?

In the case of a spinning disk, the net torque acting on the disk is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and its angular acceleration. This means that the angular acceleration of a spinning disk can be controlled by changing the net torque acting on it. This principle is used in various applications, such as gyroscopes and flywheels.

Can Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation be applied to non-circular objects?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation can be applied to non-circular objects as long as the object's moment of inertia and the net torque acting on it are properly calculated. This law is applicable to any object that can rotate, regardless of its shape or size.