Newton's 2nd Law and a rolling ball

In summary, the first problem involves a soccer ball rolling down a hill with a speed of 10.0 m/s and a coefficient of friction of 0.80. The question asks for the distance the ball travels before coming to rest. The second problem involves a pig sliding down a 35 degree incline in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless incline. The question asks for the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the incline. The solution involves finding the acceleration with and without friction and using the formula F=ma to calculate the distance traveled.
alikat785
Hello!
I have a few homework problems that I'm just not sure what to do with:

1) A soccer ball rolls down a hill, reaching the bottom with a speed of 10.0 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the grass on the hill is .80. How far does the ball travel on the surface before coming to rest?

I know that the initial velocity is 0 m/s, and that the final velocity is 10 m/s, but I'm not sure what to do to find the answer.

2) A pig slides down a 35 degree incline in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree incline. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the incline?

I found the acceleration of the pig on a frictionless incline using the equation a=9.8 sin 35 = 5.62 m/s^2. I thought maybe I could put it into the equation d=Vi*t + .5*a*t^2? so that

Vi*t + .5*(5.62)*t^2 = Vi*2t +.5(a)(2t)^2

since the distance the pig travels is the same for both inclines, and I think the initial velocity would be 0? But I'm not sure what the acceleration for the incline with friction would be- the same or different than the one without friction?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!
Alison

Physics news on Phys.org
Well when the pig slides and there's friction,
the forces on the x-axis are

[tex] mgsin\theta - \mu mgcos\theta = ma [/tex]

[tex] g(sin\theta - \mu cos\theta) = a [/tex]

This first problem "1) A soccer ball rolls down a hill, reaching the bottom with a speed of 10.0 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the grass on the hill is .80. How far does the ball travel on the surface before coming to rest?" is slightly ambiguous. It says the friction between the ball and the grass on the hill is 0.8 but what you really need is the friction between the ball and the level surface. I presume that is what is actually meant. The motion on the hill is irrelevant. You know its speed at the bottom of the hill is 10 m/s. If you know the horizontal (friction) force on the ball you can calculate it deceleration and then use the usual acceleration-velocity-distance formulas to calculate how far it travels. There's still an ambiguity: normally, for object moving over a surface, "coefficient of friction" means "friction force equals coefficient of friction times weight" but you are not given the weight (or mass). In problems involving motion through water or air, "coefficient of friction" might mean "friction force equal coefficient of friction times speed" but I don't think that's intended here.

As for the "sliding pig" problem, "But I'm not sure what the acceleration for the incline with friction would be- the same or different than the one without friction?" That's the whole point. F= ma. The force, without friction, is just gravity. WITH friction, there is also a friction force so certainly the acceleration is different! The friction force is directed back up the slope so, with friction, the total force and acceleration will be smaller.
Caution: the gravity force is directed straight down. The friction force is parallel to the slope. You will need to add the components of the forces.

Related to Newton's 2nd Law and a rolling ball

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law and how does it apply to a rolling ball?

Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. When applied to a rolling ball, this means that the ball's acceleration is dependent on the force acting on it and its mass. This can be seen in the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does the mass of a rolling ball affect its acceleration?

The greater the mass of the rolling ball, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This is because according to Newton's 2nd law, the acceleration is inversely proportional to the mass. Therefore, a heavier ball will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter ball when the same force is applied.

3. What is the relationship between the force applied on a rolling ball and its acceleration?

According to Newton's 2nd law, the greater the force applied on a rolling ball, the greater its acceleration will be. This is because the acceleration is directly proportional to the force. Therefore, a larger force will result in a faster acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a slower acceleration.

4. Can the direction of the force applied on a rolling ball affect its motion?

Yes, the direction of the force can affect the motion of a rolling ball. According to Newton's 2nd law, the acceleration of an object is in the same direction as the net force acting on it. Therefore, if the force is applied in the same direction as the motion of the rolling ball, it will speed up. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will slow down or change direction.

5. How does friction play a role in the motion of a rolling ball?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can affect the acceleration of a rolling ball. As the ball rolls, it experiences friction from the surface it is rolling on. This friction can slow down or even stop the ball's motion. Therefore, the presence of friction must be taken into account when applying Newton's 2nd law to a rolling ball.