Newtonian Mechanics:friction, tension and acceleration

In summary, the problem involves three objects connected on a table with the coefficient of kinetic friction between one of the objects and the table being 0.350. The masses of the objects are m1 = 4.00 kg, m2 = 1.00 kg and m3 = 2.00 kg, and the pulleys are frictionless. The task is to draw free-body diagrams for each object, determine the acceleration and direction of each object, calculate the tensions in the two cords, and consider how the tensions would be affected if the tabletop were smooth. The relevant equations are F=ma, F(kinetic friction)=μkf x F(n), F(n)=m2xg, F(gravity)=mg
Plebert

Homework Statement

Alright, the problem is as follows:Three objects are connected on a table. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block of mass m2 and the table is 0.350.The other two masses are hanging perpendicular to the tabletop, suspended by wires on opposite sides of the table.From left to right, the objects have masses of m1 = 4.00 kg, m2 = 1.00 kg and m3 = 2.00 kg, and the pulleys are frictionless.

(a) Draw free‐body diagrams of each of the objects. (b)
Determine the acceleration of each object and their directions. (c) Determine the
tensions in the two cords. (d) If the tabletop were smooth, would the
tensions increase, decrease or stay the same?

Homework Equations

These are the equations I've assumed to be relevant as none are given.
F=ma
F(kinetic friction)=μkf x F(n)
F(n)=m2xg
F(gravity)=mg
ƩF(m1)=((m1xg)-((μkf x(m2xg))+(m3xg)))

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, for part (a) I can't really show you my free body diagrams, but I can tell you I derived this---->ƩF(m1)=((m1xg)-((μkf x(m2xg))+(m3xg)))
from drawing the forces associated with the mass.

When all relevant values are substituted in ended up with a net force of 14.985N In the positive "down" direction. Which when rearranged into the form

a=f/m
yields, a=3.7465m/s^2

for m1

I'm finding mass 2 much harder to model, I am not sure what role friction plays in defining the normal component of the reactionary force

for part c)
I'm assuming the tension in the wires is the Ʃf(x)
which would look something like, Ʃf(x)=(m1xg) + (m3xg) ?
I've never seen a relationship linking friction and tension...

so, is the tension independent of the friction? If so,this would mean the only forces causing tension are (m1xg) + (m3xg)

For part d) If I'm right in my above assertion, the tension would remain constant regardless of changes in μkf.

I know this question shouldn't be so complicated, but I'm just having trouble getting my head around everything.

Any help is priorly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plebert said:
Well, for part (a) I can't really show you my free body diagrams, but I can tell you I derived this---->ƩF(m1)=((m1xg)-((μkf x(m2xg))+(m3xg)))
from drawing the forces associated with the mass.
I don't understand how you got this from analyzing mass 1. Looks like you have forces acting on the other masses mixed in.

Start by identifying the forces acting on each mass.

Related to Newtonian Mechanics:friction, tension and acceleration

1. What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that explains the motion of objects based on the laws of motion and the concept of forces. It was developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and is still used today to describe the motion of macroscopic objects.

2. How does friction affect motion in Newtonian Mechanics?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and is caused by the interaction between two surfaces. In Newtonian Mechanics, friction is included as a force that must be overcome in order for an object to move. It can slow down or stop the motion of an object, and the amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces and the force pressing them together.

3. What is tension in Newtonian Mechanics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled taut. In Newtonian Mechanics, tension is included as a force that can change the direction or speed of an object's motion. It is often used in problems involving pulleys, ropes, and other systems where the motion of an object is influenced by a taut string or cable.

4. How does acceleration relate to Newtonian Mechanics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In Newtonian Mechanics, acceleration is explained by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

5. Can Newtonian Mechanics be applied to all types of motion?

Newtonian Mechanics is most accurate for describing the motion of macroscopic objects at low speeds. At high speeds or in very small scales, other theories such as Einstein's theory of relativity or quantum mechanics may be needed. However, for everyday situations and most engineering applications, Newtonian Mechanics is still a very useful and accurate tool for understanding and predicting motion.