Newtonian formulation/proof of Noether's theorem

In summary, Noether's theorem can be formulated and proven in the framework of Newtonian mechanics using F=dp/dt, through symmetries of the potential rather than the action. However, the beauty of the Noether theorem is best appreciated in the Lagrangian formalism. Off-shell symmetries of the action integral lead to the Noether identity.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I've only ever seen Noether's theorem formulated ond proven in the framework of Lagrangian mechanics. Is it possible to do the same in Newtonian mechanics, essentially only using F=dp/dt ?

The "symmetries" in the usual formulation of the theorem are symmetries of the action with respect to continuous transformations. How would this translate to Newtonian mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's Laws are examples of equations of motion, and the equations of motion are the outcome of the Lagrangian approach. I don't see how you could start with the outcome and then recover a theorem about the process - a process that you never undergo, since you started with the outcome.

Newton's laws use F without describing how to work out what the force is. You need to include a separate verbal description of the forces for all possibe states of the system, and there is no standard format for expressing that- short of rederiving Lagrangian mechanics. Therefore, the tools you would need in order to define symmetries in this context to not exist.

Vanadium 50 said:
Newton's Laws are examples of equations of motion, and the equations of motion are the outcome of the Lagrangian approach. I don't see how you could start with the outcome and then recover a theorem about the process - a process that you never undergo, since you started with the outcome.

THere are equation of motions that are not derivable from Lagrangians, so I guess the question might have some relevance.

greypilgrim said:
Hi.

I've only ever seen Noether's theorem formulated ond proven in the framework of Lagrangian mechanics. Is it possible to do the same in Newtonian mechanics, essentially only using F=dp/dt ?

The "symmetries" in the usual formulation of the theorem are symmetries of the action with respect to continuous transformations. How would this translate to Newtonian mechanics?
Yes, you can.
1) If the potential [itex]V[/itex] does not depend explictly on the position, i.e., invariant under translation, then Newton equation gives you the law of momentum conservation: [itex]\frac{dp}{dt} = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ p = \mbox{constant}[/itex].
2) Multiplying Newton equation by [itex]\dot{x}[/itex], you get
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{1}{2} m v^{2} + V \right) = 0 .[/tex]
Thus, symmetry under time-translation gives you the law of energy conservation.
3) Take the cross product of Newton equation with [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], you get
[tex]\vec{r} \times \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} (\vec{r} \times \vec{p}) = - \vec{r} \times \nabla V .[/tex]
So, if the potential depends only on [itex]|\vec{r}|[/itex], i.e., rotationally invariant, then
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} (\vec{r} \times \vec{p}) \equiv \frac{d \vec{L}}{dt} = 0,[/tex]
and this says that angular momentum conservation follows from the invariance under rotation.
As you see, these are Noether-type statements. However, the beauty of the Noether theorem can only be appriciated in the Lagrangian formalism.

Likes king vitamin
How can the potential not depend on position? It always depends on it, or it's not a potential. If it's constant then it doesn't affect anything.

goran d said:
How can the potential not depend on position? It always depends on it, or it's not a potential. If it's constant then it doesn't affect anything.
Yes, when "it doesn't affect anything" it means you have translation invariance.

samalkhaiat said:
2) Multiplying Newton equation by [itex]\dot{x}[/itex], you get
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{1}{2} m v^{2} + V \right) = 0 .[/tex]
Thus, symmetry under time-translation gives you the law of energy conservation.

I don't quite understand this one. Where exactly did you use symmetry under time-translation? I can only see you starting from Newton's equation and arriving at energy conservation without further assumptions.

greypilgrim said:
I don't quite understand this one. Where exactly did you use symmetry under time-translation? I can only see you starting from Newton's equation and arriving at energy conservation without further assumptions.
What is the difference between
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} \dot{x} ,[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} \dot{x} ,[/tex]
and which one did I use?

Okay, you assume that the potential has no explicit time dependance.

So in this Newtonian formulation, all symmetries are in fact symmetries of the potential? In the Lagrangian formalism, the full Lagrangian (which in the simplest case ##L=T-V## also contains kinetic energy) needs to be symmetric. Are these definitions of "symmetry" really equivalent?

This happens when the dynamical variables satisfy the equation of motion (Newton's equation in our case), and the symmetry in this case is called on-shell symmetry. In general, i.e., off-shell symmetry of the action integral leads to the so-called Noether identity
[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} \right) \right) \delta x - \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} \delta x - L \delta t \right) = 0
[/tex]

Related to Newtonian formulation/proof of Noether's theorem

1. What is the Newtonian formulation of Noether's theorem?

The Newtonian formulation of Noether's theorem is a mathematical principle that relates symmetries in a system to conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. How does Noether's theorem apply to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, Noether's theorem can be used to determine conserved quantities such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, by identifying symmetries in the system. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and laws governing the motion of objects.

3. Can Noether's theorem be extended to other areas of physics?

Yes, Noether's theorem has been extended to other areas of physics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and field theory. It is a fundamental principle that has wide-ranging applications in understanding the symmetries and conservation laws in various physical systems.

4. Are there any limitations to Noether's theorem?

While Noether's theorem is a powerful tool in understanding physical systems, it does have some limitations. It only applies to continuous symmetries and does not account for discrete symmetries. Additionally, the theorem may not hold in systems with constraints or in situations where the Lagrangian is not well-defined.

5. How is Noether's theorem related to the principle of least action?

Noether's theorem is closely related to the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. Noether's theorem can be derived from the principle of least action, and the conserved quantities determined through Noether's theorem can be used to solve problems using the principle of least action.