Newtonian energy integral and suitable boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a strange energy equation with the form KE = A + B W + C \exp(-D W), where A, B, and D are known constants and C is an unknown constant to be determined. The variables KE and W represent kinetic and potential energy, respectively, and are functions of time and position. The question asks about what conditions could suggest that C = 0, and the speaker mentions trying \lim_{r \rightarrow \infty} W(r) = 0 and KE(t=0) = 0, but is unsure if these are sufficient. They ask for help in determining if there are any other considerations to take into account.
Matter_Matters
I have a (somewhat) strange energy equation which has the following form:
[tex] KE = A + B W + C \exp(-D W), [/tex]
where [itex] A,B,D [/itex] are known constant, [itex] C [/itex] is an unknown constant to be determined and kinetic and potential energy are given by [itex] KE [/itex] and [itex] W [/itex] respectively with [itex]W\equiv W(r)[/itex] i.e. is a function of position only and [itex] KE \equiv KE(t) [/itex] i.e. is a function of time only.
Question:
What conditions could I use (boundary or initial) that would suggest [itex] C = 0 [/itex]?
I have tried something like
[tex]
\lim_{r \rightarrow \infty} W(r) = 0, \\
KE(t=0) =0.
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
But, I am not sure if these are sufficient or if there is something else that I need to consider?Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Newtonian energy integral and suitable boundary conditions

1. What is the Newtonian energy integral?

The Newtonian energy integral is a mathematical expression that describes the conservation of energy in a system of particles under the influence of conservative forces. It states that the total energy of the system, which is the sum of kinetic and potential energy, remains constant over time.

2. What are suitable boundary conditions for using the Newtonian energy integral?

The suitable boundary conditions for using the Newtonian energy integral are that the system must be isolated, meaning that there are no external forces acting on it, and that the interactions between particles must be conservative, meaning that the potential energy depends only on the relative positions of particles and not on their velocities.

3. How is the Newtonian energy integral derived?

The Newtonian energy integral is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done by the sum of all forces acting on a particle is equal to the change in the particle's kinetic energy. By applying this theorem to a system of particles, the Newtonian energy integral can be derived.

4. Can the Newtonian energy integral be applied to non-conservative systems?

No, the Newtonian energy integral can only be applied to systems with conservative forces. In non-conservative systems, such as those with friction or air resistance, the total energy of the system is not conserved.

5. How is the Newtonian energy integral used in practical applications?

The Newtonian energy integral is used in various branches of physics and engineering, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems, such as the motion of planets in the solar system or the flow of fluids in a pipeline.