Newton Third Problem Ball on a Scale - part 2

In summary, you are analyzing a scenario where a 0.50 kg ball is dropped from a height of 1 m into your hands, causing your hands to drop from chest level to waist level during the catch. Your mass is 62 kg and the scales read 607.6 N before you caught the ball. Assuming uniform deceleration, you calculated that the maximum reading on the scales would be 632 N. Your teacher mistakenly thought you did not account for the ball's acceleration, but you did in fact calculate and use it in your solution.
Sabellic

Homework Statement

You are standing on scales which read weight in Newtons. A 0.50 kg ball is dropped from a height of 1 m into your hands. Your hands drop from chest level to waist level during the catch, a distance of about 25 cm. Your mass is 62 kg. Assuming that you decelerate the ball uniformly during the catch, what would be the maximum reading on the scales? (Hint: The scales read 607.6 N before you caught the ball.)

Properties of the Ball
Displacement upon being released: ?
Displacement while being decelerated: ?
Mass: 0.50 kg (given)

Properties of Me
Weight: 607.6 Newtons (given)
Mass: 62 kg (given)

Homework Equations

V (final) ^ 2 = V (initial) ^ 2 + (2 * acceleration * displacement)

F (weight) = g * mass

Force = mass * acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

The maximum reading on the scale will occur when I catch the ball, because at that time the scale will record my weight + the ball's weight + the acceleration of the ball whilst being caught.

F (weight me) + F (weight ball) + mass (ball) * acceleration

First find the acceleration of the ball after it is dropped:

V (final) ^ 2 = V (initial) ^ 2 + (2 * acceleration * displacement)
V (final) ^ 2 = 0^2 + 2 * 9.8 * 1
V (final) ^ 2 = 19.6
V (final) = 4.43 m/s

So therefore, the final velocity is 4.43 m/s

So, the velocity of the ball upon being caught is 4.43 m/s downward. Now, let's find out the acceleration as it is being decelerated by my hand.V (final) ^ 2 = V (initial) ^ 2 + (2 * acceleration * displacement)
0^2 = 4.43 ^ 2 + (2 * acceleration * 0.25)
0 = 19.6 + 0.5a
0.5a = -19.6
a=39.2 m/s^2

So, therefore the acceleration of the ball is -39.2 m/s^2

What force is that? F=ma; F= (0.5 * 39.2); F=19.6 NSo, let's return to my original statement: The maximum reading on the scale will occur when I catch the ball, because at that time the scale will record my weight + the ball's weight + the acceleration of the ball whilst being caught.

Therefore:

F (weight me) + F (weight ball) + mass (ball) * acceleration
607.6 Newtons + 4.9 Newtons + 19.6 Newtons = 632 Newtons

Therefore the maximum number on the scale will read 632 Newtons.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't double-check your arithmetic, but your solution looks good to me. Your reasoning can be tightened up a bit.

A better way to think of this is to consider the forces acting on you, under the assumption that you do not accelerate as you catch the ball and thus the net force on you is always zero. As you catch the ball, the forces on you are: (1) Your weight = mg, (2) The force that the ball exerts against your hand, and (3) The upward force that the scale exerts on you (which equals the scale reading). You are trying to find the maximum value of that third force.

To find the force that the ball exerts on you, analyze the forces on the ball (and apply Newton's 3rd law).

Of course, you get the same answer as you did, but thinking of it this way might give you some additional insight.

Thank you very much, DocAl. The reason why I posted this is because my teacher said that I forgot to account for the ball's acceleration and she docked me marks for it. I didn't understand why she said that.

That makes no sense, since you obviously calculated and made use of the ball's acceleration.

Yeah, I thought so. I actually sent in that assignment twice. The first time I made a mistake with the acceleration and so i re-did it and sent it in a second time as I posted it on this thread.

I think I will ask if the correct submission one was evaluated. Thanks again, Doc Al.

Related to Newton Third Problem Ball on a Scale - part 2

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to the ball on a scale experiment?

In this experiment, the ball exerts a downward force on the scale due to its weight. This is the action force. The scale then exerts an equal and opposite force (reaction force) on the ball, which is why the scale reads a higher weight when the ball is dropped onto it.

3. What is the significance of the scale in this experiment?

The scale is used to measure the force exerted by the ball. Without it, we would not be able to accurately measure the reaction force and observe the principle of action and reaction.

4. Can you explain the concept of equilibrium in this experiment?

Equilibrium is a state where all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in zero net force and zero acceleration. In this experiment, when the ball is at rest on the scale, it is in equilibrium as the downward force due to its weight is balanced by the upward force from the scale.

5. How does the weight of the ball affect the scale reading?

The weight of the ball directly affects the scale reading as the scale measures the force exerted by the ball. A heavier ball will exert a greater downward force, resulting in a higher scale reading. This is in accordance with Newton's Second Law, which states that the force of an object is directly proportional to its mass.