Newton laws object on incline in equlibrium

In summary, a block of mass 2.0kg is held in equilibrium on an incline of 60 degrees by a horizontal force F. To determine the value of F, Fnetx and Fnety are set to 0. However, this approach is incorrect as F is not parallel to the incline. The correct approach is to break down the forces into their components and use trigonometry to sum them up in the x and y directions. The horizontal force F needs to be broken down into its components in order to solve for F. The normal force exerted by the incline on the block must also be considered. The correct values for F and the normal force are 34N and 39N, respectively.
jwxie

Homework Statement

A block of mass m=2.0kg is held in equilibrium on an incline of angle=60 degrees by the horizontal force F.
a)determine the value of F
b)determine the normal force exerted by the incline on the block (ignore friction).

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fnetx = 0
Fnety = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first I thought about it
If it is held in equilibrum, doesn't it means the object is at rest, at least, shouldn't Fnet = 0 since a = 0?

I investigated my Fnetx and Fnet y.
Fnetx = 0, then I have F - FgSin60 = 0
Fnety = 0, then I have Fg - Fgcos60 = 0

But it doesn't make sense because fg doesn't equal to Fgcos60

the answer for a) 34N and b) 39

please correct my approach, where have I gone wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone would like to give me a hand?

I don't think you are interpreting the horizontal force correctly. It is not acting along the incline (so not parallel to it). It is at an angle with respect to the incline. You will need to break it up into its components, and put them into your equations. Don't forget about the normal force either, it is there too. Does that help at all? See what you can come up with.

Yes, a = 0, for both directions.

then shouldn't F means Fgsinx?
you know how, Fg|| or Fg |_ like fgsin and fgcos
i was stuck at breaking it
by the way, i really thank you your reply

I'm not sure what you mean. F and Fg are not the same thing. If you take your y direction to be perpendicular to the incline, and the x direction to be parallel to the incline then you need to figure out how to make each of the forces "fit" into those directions. This is where the trig comes in. Draw a diagram, and label all the forces (there are three). Then break them up into the components so you can sum them up in those two directions. The horizontal force being applied to the block is just one of the forces you need to do this to.

Related to Newton laws object on incline in equlibrium

1. What are Newton's laws?

Newton's laws are three fundamental principles of classical mechanics that describe the relationship between the motion of an object and the forces acting on it. They were formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still widely used in physics today.

2. What is an object on an incline?

An object on an incline is an object that is resting or moving on a surface that is not horizontal, but rather at an angle. This angle is known as the incline angle, and it affects the motion of the object due to the force of gravity acting on it.

3. How do Newton's laws apply to an object on an incline?

Newton's laws apply to an object on an incline in the same way as they do to any other object. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws can be used to analyze the motion of an object on an incline and determine the forces acting on it.

4. What is equilibrium for an object on an incline?

Equilibrium for an object on an incline refers to the state where the object is not moving and the net force acting on it is zero. This means that the forces pulling the object down the incline (such as gravity) are balanced by the forces pushing the object up the incline (such as friction). When an object is in equilibrium on an incline, it will remain in place unless disturbed by an external force.

5. How do you calculate the forces on an object on an incline in equilibrium?

To calculate the forces on an object on an incline in equilibrium, you can use the equations derived from Newton's laws. First, determine the components of the forces acting on the object, such as the force of gravity and the force due to friction. Then, use trigonometry to break these forces into their horizontal and vertical components. Finally, set up and solve equations based on the second law to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces. The sum of all forces should equal zero for the object to be in equilibrium.